link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

I said it once before but this is exactly the game that needed to come out after Final Fantasy 16, and Dragon Age Dreadwolf’s bullshit is going to look even worse in this game’s shadow. Just to shut up the think pieces and comment sections that claim RPGs becoming God of War clones is somehow the only “modern” direction to take them.

• Belgdore@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Yeah, it’s not really a traditional FF game, but it’s a good game regardless.

• vrighter
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

it’s probably why I enjoyed this one, but could never even bring myself to finish any of the other ones

• qwertyWarlord@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Hey if we can have several one in a decade world events happening in a short timespan, surely we can get some good games too

• atlasraven31@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

But it doesn’t have to be a once in a decade thing. We can drop a great RPG or even a good shooter every couple years.

• nyctre@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

I meant … it’s not. There have been 3 larian games in the last 9 years, and all 3 have been great. And they’re not the only good games or RPGs. So the title is just the usual click bait crap

• atlasraven31@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

I played Divine Divinity some when it was released. It was interesting but clunky. It was no Neverwinter Nights.

I want to see us as gamers get away from sequelitis and get full games again without lock boxes or cash shops or battle passes. The excitement of Doom or Battlefield 2 or Elden Ring.

• verysoft@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          10 months ago

Wont happen. Average consumer consumes without thought for the larger picture, theres a reason we got to this point, people are suckers and buy it all, the most recent trap they willingly jump into is “pre order for X days early access”, I will never understand.

• verysoft@kbin.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

Early access as in still in development, sure some are, but that is not what I was talking about. It’s preorder our finished game (and/or buy a ‘deluxe’ edition) and get the game ‘early’ before its release date. Reality is, its just a delayed release for smarter consumers.

• Lojcs@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                10 months ago

And that’s bad, how? If other people were able to play it early you know it wasn’t finished the day before release and can read reviews before buying.

• verysoft@kbin.social
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  10 months ago

How is that not bad? It’s preying on people to soak up more money. If you cant understand the difference between buying a game in development vs spending extra to play a game a few days early, then the sun might as well be the moon.
                  I wouldnt recommend buying games in early access either, especially if they are not discounted. If done properly theres no malice in a company asking for funds as you join the development process of a game. Whereas asking for more money to simply play a game 3 days before its official release with no other differences to the game is just predatory, abusing people excitement and hype to squeeze every last penny out where they can. Keep in mind its the multimillion or multibillion dollar companies pulling this, not your indie studios who are the ones who usually use the in dev early access program.

• Jo Miran@lemmy.ml
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

I hope this inspires people to check out Larian’s Divinity: Original Sin series.

• Itsamelemmy@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I picked up DOS1 EE and DOS2. Playing 1 when I don’t have access to my desktop as my laptop isn’t capable of running BG3. Still in the first town, but so far I’m enjoying Divinity as well.

• verysoft@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

DOS2 combat allowed you to do goofy stuff and was fun casting spells. BG3 is more 1 turn 1 action and much slower and methodical, I mean makes sense, it is DnD afterall, it’s designed for tabletop.

• Dagrothus@reddthat.com
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

Yeah I mean I thought divinity combat was fun. I could make massive plays to freeze everyone, create all sorts of elemental clouds and surfaces, group enemies up with teleports, etc. Some combos were definitely OP but that’s what makes it fun + you could ramp up difficulty with mods and such. You could also cast spells for fun or teleport just to get around the map without having to long rest. Baldur’s gate is much slower paced and playing with the elements like that seems way less viable.

• TheLowestStone@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            10 months ago

It’s sort of DnD. Solasta offers much more authentic 5e combat (especially with mods) but has much weaker stories, awful faces, and bad voice acting.

• MarcomachtKuchen@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

I really liked the combat of DOS2. All the interactions between spells were a lot of fun. The only Thing i disliked is, how ineffetive movement felt. Either you had an attack which included movement, or you didnt wanna move

• Montagge@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

What interaction? The constant everything blows up damaging everyone while healing sucks? Stunning yourself because your standing in blood that glitched under ground? Spells that don’t work on the slightest change in the z-axis?

• MarcomachtKuchen@feddit.de
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              10 months ago

All the interactions between conditions. How wet is the condition to Support shock aswell as frost. How the Rangers First Aid is the only way to remove knockdown. How Charmed kann be removed by clear mind, but not by magic armor. How most geomancer spells create explosive surfaces to synergise with pyro. How you can usw dragons breath to clear Ice so your Charakter wont slip

• Elegast@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Divinity original sin 2 id assume. Great game as well by Larian.

• theragu40@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

I think the Baldurs Gate name/brand carries a ton of weight still. Lots of people are nostalgic for it because it was a formative game of the 90s.

• Bandananaan@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

I think bg3 is also a lot easier to get into than dos 1 and 2. Having actual cut scenes and voice acting for everything goes a long way in making the game immersive. I also feel its easier to get into the combat (though that may just be me having got used to dos beforehand)

• theragu40@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                10 months ago

I’m really looking forward to playing it (I’ve promised myself to fully beat TotK before I pick it up). I played a ton of BG 1 and 2 when I was a kid and even for me they are hard to pick back up now. A slightly more accessible version of that sounds amazing.

• Bandananaan@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  10 months ago

I tried playing bg 1 and 2 about 10 years ago. I put about 40 hours in between them and enjoyed it, but I found it tough going. I’ve found bg3 way easier to get into and have already far surpassed the hours I put into the original games. On top of what I’ve already mentioned, the change to fully turn based is a huge improvement on that weird pausable real time used in the previous games

• 👍Maximum Derek👍
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

It scratches the same itch that has led me to buy Skyrim at least 3 times (PS3, PC, and Switch)

• misterfenskers@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

First story driven game to fully immerse me since New Vegas. I’m about 15 hours deep and I’m not even scratching the surface.

• thrashpipe@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

This game has taken me back to my Mass Effect days. I’m so glad I checked this game out, and I’ve enjoyed almost every minute I’ve played.