• The Cuuuuube@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

And the person selling you out glasses out front is for legal reasons a separate business from the doctor who prescribed you the glasses in the back. They don’t at any point make it clear to you that you are legally entitled to not buy glasses there, you can ask for your prescription, take it home with you, and find a good deal online. Its a dark UI pattern in real life. Its the exact same psychological thing that’s going on when a retailer defaults the “sign up for promotional emails?” tickbox to enabled

• mrichey@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Zenni is the exact opposite of the OPs original question. Zenni seems like a scam but isn’t at all.

• qyron@lemmy.pt
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Buy from China.

I took the gamble because I had the money to spare and never looked back again.

The money I would pay for a set of glasses in my country goes easily over €300. With that amount, I can pay an ophthalmologist appointment, have my eyes checked by a doctor, properly, get the prescription, order two sets of glasses (one as a backup) and still have money to spare.

• bleepbloopbleep@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

I’ve had two pair of glasses from China… and I have to say: never ever again.

I’ve only bought them because money was tight back then… the quality was ok for what I paid but that’s about it.

I like my optician around the corner that’s been there for over 35 years. :) They have glasses priced from around 180€ up to what you’re willing to pay. 😂

I get all the service I need for free there - if something small is broken they fix it immediately and give your glasses a deep clean…

If my money lets me I will always choose to support small businesses.

• qyron@lemmy.pt
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

You had a bad experience. I respect that. I have not.

Unless we can force a certificate of origin from your local optician for the lenses and the frames, there is a good chance we are actually purchasing material made in PRC.

Regarding service, I’ve used glasses for so long I learned how to maintain, fit and fix minor damage to my glasses.

And regarding quality, even when I paid a lot more money, a pair of glasses would last for about a year, give or take a couple of months. I get the same time from a cheaper set of glasses. So, no gain in spending more.

• bleepbloopbleep@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            10 months ago

That’s cool. Don’t get me wrong: I’ve had not one but two very mediocre experiences with Chinese glasses… One being a titanflex frame for a very good price… but I’ve had a Silhouette Titanflex frame before and the quality of the Silhouette frame was noticeably better. The Chinese Titanflex model lasted me 18 months, the Silhouette Frame 5 years!

The second Chinese frame was kind of a Ray Ban Dupe and well… It did the job but that’s really about it.

I’m coming from a hearing care professional background that also worked with an optician so I learned my share of how to take care of my glasses and how to customize them for myself.

But I don’t want to do it myself abymoreif I can get the service for free just around the corner ;) (I’m not working in the field anymore)

As for production: there’s some German companies who actually are manufacturing in Germany and Europe. So I’m pretty sure my glasses aren’t made in China. The frame I’m wearing is also made in Germany. And my current glasses aren’t even that expensive… I’ve had way more expensive glasses in the past.