• kautau@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

The JPEG isn’t even on the blockchain for the majority of NFTs. It’s just a URL to a JPEG on a server someone else owns. If they take down the server, sell it, it gets hacked, the url scheme changes, etc someone is now the proud owner of a broken link lol

• nao@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

It’s just a URL

If that’s the case it makes it even more surprising anyone would see any value in that.

• The dogspaw @midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Its not a jpeg man its an nft it uses blockchain man it can’t be replicated its totally the future now let me plug in 50 gpus I got to start mining

• Somerefriedbeans@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Its not a jpeg man its an nft it uses blockchain man it can’t be replicated its totally the future

It’s funny you say this because in the near future once blockchain usage becomes more mainstream, you’re going to see NFT tech used for things like concert tickets, sporting events, movie tickets etc… because they can’t be counterfeited and produced at a fraction of the cost of traditional tickets. As long as the NFT sits in your crypto wallet, you’re granted access to the event.

People tend to forget how much the original web was plagued with scams and such, or maybe some are too young to even know much about it… Crypto is new and will take some time before it matures. But I believe decentralization is the future and is one of the reasons I’m on Lemmy.

• msage@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

I dislike this take to much.

First of all, crypto doesn’t protect you from scams, just look around you.

If you get ‘one true crypto’, you get locked in by its architecture, and there’s always someone who controls said architecture. The chain is decentralized, but the core is not.

Also, tickets are controlled almost exclusively by a central authority, which owns the venues, so there is no way in hell they will let you keep a ledger of every purchase of every ticket. It’s better for them to keep it concealed.

There is so much bullshit in the crypto hype, it’s almost funny.

If you want to put crypto anywhere, do the stock market first, and then get back to me.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

I never claimed made a claim that it protected you from scams. I said it can’t be counterfeited.

I really don’t want a “one true crypto”. I think different blockchains can serve different purposes.

And as far as ticketing goes, yes the centralized authority (let’s say Disney for example) would set a max amount of tickets (nfts) to be sold/minted and they would be distributed to wallets as they are sold. Nobody else would have a way to alter or counterfeit fake tickets.

I can totally understand all the hate for crypto though. I mean… I’m a gamer and bought my graphics card during the peak of crypto mining. Was I happy? Hell no. I had a deep hate for crypto at the time… But I decided to dig deeper into what the rage was about. Using actual crypto wallets and interacting with Dapps was quite eye opening to what the future web could be like.

But I’m also with you that crypto needs some form of regulation, but imo crypto and stocks are not the same. If anything NFTs would be more like stocks/shares.

One of the biggest hurdles, like you’ve mentioned, is that a good portion of the space is full of ponzis/scams. But there are a handful out there who truly care and are trying to pave the way and build up a new way to interact with others. I assure you there’s more to it than just scams and jpeg trading. It can be pretty neat when you see what’s possible.

Sorry to take up so much of your time with my second ramble but you raised some good points. Cheers

• ZodiacSF1969@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              10 months ago

I said it can’t be counterfeited.

Lmao how big a problem are counterfeit tickets? Because Ticketek seems pretty happy with what they are currently doing.

Sorry to burst your bubble but crypto & NFTs are never going mainstream. They are already past the peak, and failed spectacularly.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                10 months ago

Never said it was a problem… Just saying its a better solution. That’s okay though… Saving this comment and will tag you during the next crypto bull run when the hype is back 😘

• ZodiacSF1969@sh.itjust.works
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  10 months ago

Lmao yeh I wouldn’t be surprised if it had another run at the ATH high, backed by shady organizations lkke Binance and imaginary Tether dollars lol

• msage@programming.dev
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

You need to teach people how to verify that their purchase for not counterfeited. Since the bar is not techological, and never will be.

We had way back when a ‘web of trust’, that actually solved a lot more problems than crypto ever did. But people never understood it, so it never got mainstream adoption.

If you don’t know a thing about stock market then it makes sense you could suggest NFTs for it, but you can actually divide shares into fractions.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                10 months ago

I merely use nfts as an example because they are closer to what a stock would be than a coin itself. They are not the same though. I was not making that claim.

• msage@programming.dev
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  10 months ago

A non-fungible token (NFT) is a unique digital identifier that is recorded on a blockchain, and is used to certify ownership and authenticity. It cannot be copied, substituted, or subdivided.

So just… no.

You mentioned elsewhere that people attack you instead of approaching you in a discussion.

And it’s very hard when you seem to misunderstand very basic facts. Which is why people might not be interested in what you might have to say.

• NecroSocial@lemmy.world
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    10 months ago

Just wanted to mention fractionalized NFTs are a thing. That “can’t be subdivided” part doesn’t hold for all types.

link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    edit-2
                    10 months ago

You’ve said nothing that dismisses anything I’ve said. I’m fully aware of what an nft is. Nft mints are used to fund projects in order to build whatever it is they are proposing. It’s not that complicated

And you obviously came here to fight, not discuss shit, so fuck off

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

Totally fair. I just see at as one of the many uses that are possible. Let’s day you couldn’t make it to an event and wanted to sell your ticket. It would be pretty easy to get the other users wallet address and make the exchange. Also, not all blockchains have high transaction fees. On the Solana network, for example, you can make the exchange for a fraction of a cent. It would cost you roughly. $0.0021 to make the trade.

• pseudonym@monyet.cc
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

I’m curious about this use case. It actually sounds pretty convenient, but it also sounds like a wet dream for scalpers since it makes it so easy to buy a bunch and resell for insane prices. On one hand, the price someone is willing to pay is the true value, so you could argue that the original seller wasn’t charging enough. But on the other hand, if scalpers buy up all the supply then they’re artificially increasing the price. I don’t really know anything about economics, I’m just guessing.

In the traditional world of tickets, you could hypothetically prevent reselling by tying a ticket to a person’s id (not that anybody does this, but you could). But in the nft world you described where you can resell your ticket, is there any solution to prevent scalping?

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                10 months ago

Honestly, right now it’s like the wild west. The markets need a form of regulation. For that reason, I’d never recommend anyone get into nft trading without some serious research put into it. But as the space evolves, there will likely be thing put in place to solve this issue.

Also wanted to say I also very much appreciate your response. Most here have decided to attack me instead of actually holding an intellectual conversation. Hope you have a great day!

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  10 months ago

The truly decentralized portions of the market can’t be directly regulated. A feature not a bug as the point of decentralization is a trustless environment with no overlords, middlemen or gatekeepers.

The places regulation can touch are endpoints: fiat on/off ramps, legal entities (companies, orgs) operating in the space, people’s freedoms in regards to the ability to interact with crypto etc. Regulating those endpoints in an attempt to manage the decentralized interior requires a level of nuance and respect for people’s privacy and liberty that first-world governments have so far yet to demonstrate.

In lieu of sweeping regulations (which can have many downsides), the “web3” industry would be well served to get it’s act together internally with tech solutions to problems like rug pulls, scam tokens, wash trading and such. The example of fiat markets shows such problems can’t be completely eliminated but if tech solutions can eliminate just some or most of them that’d make the playing field safer by orders of magnitude.

Note to any unware: “Trustless” in this sense means the ability to transact without having to “trust” any outside authority to regulate, allow or manage the transaction for you. Everything programmatically handled and equally open to inspection and validation by all involved.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                10 months ago

…is there any solution to prevent scalping?

Built-in price ceiling and verifiability. Resales could be limited or completely forbidden as well.

• nickwitha_k (he/him)@lemmy.sdf.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

Crypto isn’t new. Bitcoin’s initial release was in 2009. Two versions of MS Windows have been released and EOL’d since then. Five Star Wars films have been written, filmed and released since then. Intel released all 13 generations of their Core i# processors since then.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

Allow me to clarify… Crypto itself isn’t new… But the way in which we interact with it is new. All sorts of platforms, metaverses, etc… are still being developed through the bear market. These things take time to develop. Also, crypto usage is not exactly used by everyone right now, so I respectfully disagree with you.