I’m a Male who doesn’t have a thick beard or much facial hair. At best, I get a small stubble on my cheeks, where my moustache can grow a bit more. I can easily shave my cheeks without any cream or prep, moustache I’d generally have to soften up the hairs for a good shave.

Generally, I use the razor for a few “shaves” which can last a few weeks. Since there isn’t much hair, it doesn’t dull as easily. I’ll change it out after I feel its getting slightly dull or when I realize that it’s been a while since I last changed it.

Curious as to what others do or if there are things I’m potentially overlooking (e.g. hygienic reasons to change more frequently).

Also - I recently switched to a single blade, straight razor.

• SouthEndSunset@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I’m the same as you, my beard hairs are long and fluffy….my razors last weeks. Months even. My main problem is my hairs clog up the razor, so I’m thinking of getting a straight blade razor.

• theherk@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Highly recommend a double edged safety razor over straight razor. Straight razors are awesome but really require a much more difficult technique to properly stretch the skin and the angles are tough.

A good DE with some Feather blades is most premium. You can get great Gillette SuperSpeeds from 60+ years ago for cheap online and they’re still are better than most of today’s shading products.

But shaving improvement #1 is a good brush and cream.

• Xaphanos@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Nice mention of Feather. Excellent. I find them more effective but less forgiving than Astra. A superior tool for someone with experience. I always recommend Astra for a beginners first pack and Feather after the first month or 2.