Some Rokus and Apple TVs receive longer update windows, though.

• fartsparkles@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        22 days ago

Because it’s an internet enabled device running a fully fledged operating system that will have bugs and vulnerabilities that need to be fixed all the time.

• givesomefucks@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        22 days ago

I mean, my TV got VRR thru an update…

Would have been great if it shipped with it, but being able to get the update is better than getting mailed a usb to do it manually.

• eyeon@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          22 days ago

eh…kinda. the upside to manual USB updates is you get to intentionally apply them and can decide not to if an update makes things worse like removing features or adding more ads and tracking.

with automatic updates they can just silently update without your consent

• laurelraven@lemmy.zip
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            21 days ago

This whole removing features from a product that was where when I bought it is a concept that needs to die. I don’t care if you don’t want to support it anymore, I don’t care if literally nobody else uses it, hell I don’t even care if I don’t even use it, it was something I purchased that they’re taking away without consent or refund

• i_dont_want_to@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    22 days ago

That is definitely better than it was before.

It would have been far better to just have serviceable dumb TVs with small smart sticks, but I suppose that doesn’t extract enough money for these poor destitute CEOs.

• Duamerthrax@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      22 days ago

A dumb tv with a user accessable slot for a raspberry pi compute module would be nice. You could upgrade the brains easy enough and recycle the module into something else.

• givesomefucks@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      22 days ago

Because most media is still 1080p, 4k TVs (especially big screens) need to basically have a mini PC inside to handle the upscaling, or you might as well stay with a 1080p TV. Something very few people seem willing to do these days

At that point the “smart features” don’t need anything else, so it wouldn’t make sense to leave them out.

When media is mostly 4k, we won’t need upscaling and “dumb TV’s” will make a comeback like back in the day when people would buy cheap TVs that were just as good as the expensive ones.

Since most modern media is streaming tho. And streaming companies keep charging extra for 4k streaming, it’ll be a while.

• barsquid@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    22 days ago

I want a TV that is incapable of receiving updates please. Like it only does its job of selecting which inputs to display and displaying them.

• ohwhatfollyisman@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    22 days ago

nobody has answered this question on multiple fora for me: is it necessary to connect a smart tv to the internet?

can i keep it forever on “aeroplane mode” or whatever and use it as a dumb tv? can i never connect it to the internet if that’s what i want?

• BrikoX@lemmy.zipOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      22 days ago

Generally not required, but some are starting to require at least one time connection during TV setup process to use it.

• FuzzyRedPanda@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        22 days ago

I keep seeing this posted but I have yet to see anyone mention which brands are actually doing this.

• BrikoX@lemmy.zipOPM
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          22 days ago

Because it’s not so much brand specific as it’s device specific. Companies are still testing the waters with adding this to their differently priced lineups to see what backlash they get from each group.

• MorrisonMotel6@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        22 days ago

If you’re one of those customers who has to do this, connect it via ethernet, do the setup, then forever leave it disconnected. Never give it your wireless credentials. I personally wouldn’t trust the TV to forget the credentials and not phone home and make itself the ad machine the company wants it to be

• NutinButNet@hilariouschaos.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          21 days ago

If you don’t have this ability because the TV isn’t close to a router or if the manufacturers get so scummy that they no longer include Ethernet ports, you could accomplish this by setting up a “burner” hotspot on your phone and doing tethering. Change the name and password to something you’d never use and then let the TV connect to that and then change it to something else. TV may remember it but it won’t find that exact combo again unless you want it to :)

• OZFive@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      22 days ago

No. You can keep it offline as much as you want and use external sources to view on your TV. You do not have to use the operating system included.

You do not have to connect it to the internet to have your TV work.