No this isn’t a LTT video.

• Agility0971@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    17 days ago

Installs arch with install script, cannot fix grub, reinstalls arch. Good comedy, would recommend. Martincitopants style editing is lovely

• e8d79OP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      17 days ago

I don’t know it’s a good video about someone genuinely trying linux gaming and what issues they encountered. Usually they are well received.

• sunzu2@thebrainbin.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      17 days ago

People don’t like Linus that much now… although I was wondering who likes him in the first place.

I don’t care either way as long as he shills what I like lol

If he explaining to people about Linux, that’s a W in my book. Some of his other work is mehh tho

• Responsabilidade@lemmy.eco.br
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        17 days ago

But this video is not about Linus at all. It just features his face on the thumb, but the video does not have anything about him. I just watched this video cause YouTube recommended me

• Responsabilidade@lemmy.eco.br
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            17 days ago

No. The channel name is theunrealtarik and he is a anonymous guy (at least in this video).

At my pov the video is pretty fair in terms of Linux experience. And the conclusion is awesome

Well, I don’t know this channel as well, but at least I watched this video

• sunzu2@thebrainbin.org
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              17 days ago

i doubt most people click video or news links around here due to tracking issue etc

but putting linus on non linus video seems to have backfired lol

• Cris16228@lemmy.today
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        17 days ago

Why all this hate for Linus? Genuine question, not that I care if he’s hated or loved but I’m curious to why people hate him

• TheGrandNagus@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          16 days ago

I’d say it comes in 3 main parts:

1. Part of it is that he’s popular, and Lemmy/Reddit has a culture of hating things once they get too mainstream.

2. He had a Linux challenge and lots of things went wrong for him (some his fault, some not his fault IMO), many in the Linux community hate him for that and say it was all on him. I’ve seen a handful even go as far as to say it was staged from the beginning to make Linux look bad.

3. (By far the most valid IMO) Several months ago LTT was hit by three scandals at the same time:

• They improperly tested a pre-release product from a 2-man team, saying it was shit, then sold that prototype (only one in existence) when the two guys actually wanted it back, after which, they lied about saying they had offered the two guys a full refund (they hadn’t yet), and Linus said that he didn’t sell the prototype and that the two guys were lying - what he’d actually done is auction it (as if auctioning something isn’t selling it lol)

• After months and years of benchmark mistakes, incorrect product information, etc, a LTT employee threw shade at Gamers Nexus and Hardware Unboxed, saying that the way they benchmark will be prone to mistakes because it’s less automated. I don’t actually think their statement was meant in a bad way, but it certainly came across that way, and it’s a bad look when LTT is constantly making mistakes.

• A former LTT employee, Madison, came out and said she was sexually harassed at LTT and her concerns weren’t taken seriously. Also that she was constantly belittled, and often asked to work unpaid overtime, without much warning, or while she was at home. Two other former LTT staff appear to have, at least in part, corroborated her side of the story. There was also a secret recording from Linus addressing improper behaviour (no names mentioned though), that happened to originate from immediately after Madison left. For balance, LTT hired a law firm to investigate this, and they found LTT to be in the clear.

Gamer’s Nexus did a video about point 3 in great detail (minus the Madison part). It also goes over another issue with LTT - ethical problems in terms of how they cover some products/companies, some hiring choices, and investing in a company they review/review the competitors of.

• TMP_NKcYUEoM7kXg4qYe@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          17 days ago

He is the head of LTT which might be a reason someone hates him. LTT has a track record of “don’t ask questions, just consoom product” reviews. Basically every product gets recommended, which makes the reviews kinda pointless. This has kinda improved after Gamer Nexus’ critique but not really (see Just Josh’s video). Also some wounds cannot be healed like making a sponsored “Gaming at 8K with nVidia” video before the RTX 30 series released even though they could not game at 8K@60Hz or, my personal favourite, comparing the Intel’s (10th gen) bulk CPU prices to AMD’s retail.

He’s in a similar position as Marques Brownlie. They are the most popular reviewers despite/because they make garbage reviews. I used to hate MKBHD for that but I am grown up now. I could see why someone would hate Linus though.

• Jumuta@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          16 days ago

ltt is a tech lifestyle content company and I don’t like tech lifestyle + the existence of media conglomerates