link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    17 days ago

It depends.

It’s the reason I stopped making so much fun of people that recreate the “MAMIL” trope - “Middle Aged Men In Lycra”. Meaning men who start their midlife crisis buying an expensive bicycle with neon-colored bicycle clothes and bicycle glasses and all the other stuff.

Why don’t they just start riding their bicycle they already got? They can use their sunglasses and normal sport shorts. What’s the problem?

I think people (well, mostly men I guess) in this situation (midlife crisis) often have have started working early on and at some point suddenly start thinking “is that it?”. They feel trapped maybe in a job that isn’t really interesting (anymore) and they feel like they can see the end already. They wonder if they want to keep doing exactly what they’re doing for the rest of their life. They don’t know how to get out of it exactly and how do you change after so many years in autopilot?

But I some cases or age-ranges people want to make a change and get out of their usual habits. A real phase shift. People think they want to work out more regularly. Or really start a new hobby. Buying a bunch of expensive stuff can increase the need to go through with this phase shift - at least in the minds of the people buying it.

As an adult picking up a new hobby often means that other things in their life have to make room. It’s usually not that adults in their (let’s say) mid 30s until early 50s have problems filling their day. So whatever new hobby or task they want to do has to push away other habits and stay there until these new habits can take root.

So starting with some expensive shit can be something I can understand - if one has the money.

If I would start making music again, I’d probably start by buying an expensive synth like the super-6 from UDO (that I always wanted to buy) instead of a bunch of bleep-bloop-machines that need a lot of initial time for understanding them and then only fulfill one specific function in my music.

• Benaaasaaas@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      16 days ago

I know it’s probably not the opinion you’re looking for but I want to let people know why people go with lycra and high end stuff.

Because it makes the hobby so much nicer. Bib shorts decrease discomfort a lot, riding in a sweaty warm cotton t-shirt is also not fun. A good bike weighs a lot less than something you already have (and I’m not talking weight weenie, oh this weighs 500g less so I will dump all my money into it).