• AtomicPurple@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Do they even need to replace him though? There’s a 25-year back catalog of recorded voice lines to recycle, and most of those consist of “Let’s-a-go” and “Yahoooo!” I think the most complex sentace I’ve ever heard Mario speak in game is “Thank-a-you so much for playing my game”. Combine that with AI voice recreation, and there’s literally no reason to ever hire a replacement. Just cut Martinet a big-ass check for perpetual use of his voice, and they’re golden.

• Son_of_dad@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

That sounds awful. I rather they give the work to a new, younger voice actor instead of hogging the role forever with AI

• Maximilious@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

They’d probably prather not pay likeness fees, and there are a LOT of legal considerations Martinet would have to consider as signing the rights away to his own voice brings a lot of considerational challenges.

• AtomicPurple@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

I’m pretty sure all the edutainment titles predate Charles Martinet as the voice of Mario, and I don’t think Nintendo would ever make a game like that these days.

• km3k@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

The CNN article says Martinet started with Mario Teaches Typing in 1994.