Firefighter here. I was reflecting on a fatality I attended recently. My thoughts wandered to how a body looks like it is ‘just matter’ in a way that a living thing does not, even when sleeping. Previously I assumed this observation was just something to do with traumatic death, but this person seemed to have died peacefully and the same, ‘absence’ of something was obvious.

I’m not a religious person, but it made me wonder if there actually is something that ‘leaves’ when someone dies (beyond the obvious breathing, pulse etc).

I’m not looking for a ‘my holy book says’, kind of discussion here, but rather a reflection on the direct, lived experiences of people who see death regularly.

• dnick@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

There’s a tension and maybe responsiveness to skin and muscles that is uncanny when missing. Not sure many here could 100% recognize that very early on at the point of death, but at some point there is a wariness/unnatural look to the skin. Between that and our assumed ability to pick up on a complete lack of movement/breathing/pallor makes it reasonably certain that there is a “something” we recognize as missing, even if it’s hard to describe perfectly.

• fsxylo@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

This is exactly what the uncanny valley is. A corpse is so close to resembling a living human without being a living human that it freaks our brains out.

• Chickenstalker@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

This is why I find tv corpses too “pretty”. Dead people have this slackness to the face that actors pretending to be dead can’t or won’t emulate. The closest to a dead person’s face among the living is a drunk sleeper.