Ex-Tesla employee reveals shocking details on worker conditions: ‘You get fired on the spot.’::Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s ‘ultra hardcore’ work culture is revealed to have led to long hours, unsafe conditions, and harassment for employees.

• jonne@infosec.pub
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Yep, he got Tesla where it was quickly by squeezing everything he could out of the talent that was hired by the original founders. They got a relatively decent car out of it initially (compared to the competition, which was basically just the Nissan Leaf), but now they’re probably struggling to retain/find talent to continue running the company and designing new cars.

• iforgotmyinstance@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

He also hired people to fudge the fucking numbers. At one point he had more venture capital in pure slush money than the entire US automobile market had in their banks.

There was never any reason for that other than defrauding investors.

• Zron@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

The Elongated Muskrat is the weirdest hype beast I’ve ever seen.

He stumbles his way through sentences, has zero confidence when speaking, and ummm and uhhhs like a college freshman doing his first presentation that he prepared the morning of.

And yet, he’s generated billions of dollars in funding based purely off of hype for things that he, by track record, only has about a 10% chance of delivering.

It’s bizarre.

• Hamartiogonic@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Occasionally, I get video links from people praising how great and visionary Musk is. Then I look at the video, and all I see is a mediocre presentation. He should consider taking a few courses on public speaking. That could make him deliver his ideas more fluently, but at the moment I’m having trouble taking him seriously.

• somethingsnappy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

I will never buy one, never even thought about it. Two things though, the 1st generation roadster was not anything like a leaf. 2nd, nearly $500,000,000 of the early funding was from the federal government and around $3,200,000,000 from California. Now the new federal bet on Tesla charging stations is around $7,500,000,000. It may have all been worth it to help the car industry need to compete wiith other electric vehicles, but the government could have easily picked a better choice for all that scratch.

• rezifon@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

I believe the other commenter was saying that initially Tesla’s only competition was lacking (“basically like the Leaf”), not saying that the Tesla product was.

Now that Tesla faces credible competition from other automakers, they face a much steeper challenge to retain their market share.