Windows 11 has made the “clean Windows install” an oxymoron | Op-ed: PC makers used to need to bring their own add-on bloatware—no longer.::Op-ed: PC makers used to need to bring their own add-on bloatware—no longer.

• zurohki@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I’ve been running Linux on my laptop for ages, because I really only use a web browser on it anyway.

It was the bloat and bullshit in Windows that made me switch my desktop gaming machine to Linux back in 2018. I was regularly spending time fiddling with settings, removing things Microsoft wanted to push, using third party tools to disable telemetry, etc and it occurred to me if I was going to spend all that time fixing and changing things, I might as well be running Linux.

In 2018 there was a bunch of games that didn’t work without a fair amount of work, but I was already spending time wrestling with my computer anyway and on Linux I didn’t also have the feeling that my OS was actively resisting me and trying to force me to do what it wanted.

If something on Linux didn’t work, it was because it hadn’t been built or fixed yet. It wasn’t because Corporate decided to use their OS to force their app store or cloud services onto people.

• DefederateLemmyMl@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

It wasn’t because Corporate decided to use their OS to force their app store or cloud services onto people.

Ubuntu and the snap store say hi!

• DefederateLemmyMl@feddit.nl
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Good on you, I was a long time slackware user myself. I just wanted to make the point that just using any Linux doesn’t suffice to escape these shennanigans, the choice of distro matters as well.