• MeanEYE@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

It’s a matter of planning and availability. In my country people don’t renovate their houses often and even rarely build them from scratch. Having a bidet requires planning and leaving space for it. Japanese style toilet seats are easier to install in smaller toilets, but they require electricity and/or hot water.

• Bo7a@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

There’s a lot of misunderstanding in this thread. Normal bidets that you buy on Amazon just get fitted under the toilet seat and connected to the water line that drives the toilet. There is no electricity wiring or extra .doodads needed

• kiddblur@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Unless you want heated water. My bathroom water gets pretty damn cold in the winter, but honestly, you get used to it. I don’t have hot water to my bidet, but I survive

• MeanEYE@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

This right here. Winters can be really cold and I think with water that cold my anus could cut rebar.

• n0m4n@lemmy.world
            cake
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

I purchased a bidet insert that has a valve that can intake hot and cold water (2 pipes) and output a medium temperature as part of the bidet. It was slightly more expensive, but in winter, is worth it. No electricity needed.

• Bo7a@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

Same here. Warm water might be even better, but I don’t want to know so that I can continue installing dirt cheap bidets that require no extra work or plumbing :)

• MeanEYE@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Yeah, because they have many nice features, from warming the seat to drying and washing.

• CouncilOfFriends@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I’ve had no issues with the cheap $20-40 USD bidets from Amazon, while I’m sure the fanciness of a heated bidet would change my life I don’t see the need.

• MeanEYE@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

When you say bidet you are referring to a toilet seat with water or separate wash head next to toilet. When I say bidet am referring to what french call bidet, a separate toilet-like utensil next to toilet. Those things require planning and space since they require drainage, water source, etc.

• Poopmeister@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I think it’s more common now to call a bidet insert a bidet. So just an inser that you fasten between the seat and bowl with an arm for turning on and off the spray. That connects to a T adapter at the inlet on the toilet. Works really good and costs 20-80€/$

• WhipTheLlama@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Japanese style toilet seats

That’s what most people in the USA mean when they say bidet. They’re bidet toilet seats or washlets.