• Kalash@feddit.ch
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Because of “big toilet paper”. They even tried to assassinate a spokesperson for japanes toilets.

• XiELEd@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Holy shit? Do you have a source for that because damn. It’s something I would expect though.

• cubedsteaks@lemmy.today
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

I wish I could find it again but this was years ago now that I saw a news story about the rise of women getting UTI’s from bidet usage in Japan specifically.

• Mothra@mander.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Today you have the bidets you can install on your toilet, but traditionally they were a thing on its own, that required about as much space as a toilet and all the extra pipework associated with it.

In some European/ Mediterranean countries (I suspect France may have started the trend) this caught on well, and bidets were a must have in most houses that had toilets as part of their main architectural structure. Most people in South America had bidets this way, it’s rare to see a house without at least one bidet, and this comes from the culture inherited from colonial times .

Now, things are different in othe parts of the world. England seems to traditionally have the toilet separate from the house and for some reason the bidet trend never caught on. This is in turn reflected both in USA and Australia. I don’t know about bidet popularity across all of Europe, but this is definitely a cultural thing and I suspect distance and language may have kept UK without bidets until relatively recently. And as you know, old habits die hard, so… Yeah in Australia I use the shower.

• Rescuer6394@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

in Italy, there is literally a law obligating houses to have a bidet. the separated from the toilet kind.

• chakan2@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

the separated from the toilet kind.

I don’t understand how those work at all…seems like that would be a recipe for poop tracks from the toilet.

• Rescuer6394@feddit.nl
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

well… it is time to explain to an internet stranger how we clean our bum.

• you shit on the toilet
          • you wipe with tp one or two times
          • get up, sit on the bidet
          • water, soap on the hand, and you scrub your ass with your hand, no this is not gay
          • go again with water and soap until you feel your ass is clean
          • dry with a small towel

the towel is generally personal, and we change it every couple of days.

• chakan2@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

That may have been sarcastic, but I appreciated the info. It beats having to take a shower.

• machinaeZER0@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

What part of cleaning your ass could be misconstrued as gay? Feels like an unnecessary aside, haha. Thanks for the step by step though, that makes sense!

• Rescuer6394@feddit.nl
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

i legit have no idea, but on every tread talking about bitets, there is always someone that discards it because is gay to touch your own ass

• Rescuer6394@feddit.nl
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

oh, yes, felt like it was obvious… i’m not touching anything without washing my hands after that.

• BarqsHasBite@lemmy.ca
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                10 months ago

Well I mean I do that in the shower, and I don’t wash my hands again after the shower, so I have no idea what the mentality is.

• Oyster_Lust@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

That would never fly in the US. They complain about water usage so much that they regulate shower heads so that they barely drip water, and toilets so that they don’t have enough water to flush solid waste. The bidet would just blow the regulators’ heads with all the water usage.

• wahming@monyet.cc
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

Which would be short sightedness on their part, since bidets actually save water in the long run by reducing TP usage

• Zippy@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

I fixed then. My bidet has indefinite heated water. I can sit on it for an hour cleaning my ass. It is glorious.

• TheYear2525@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          10 months ago

The bidet would just blow the regulators’ heads

Only if they sit on it backwards for the drying portion.

• Joshua Casey@lemmynsfw.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

not surprised that Italy (who has a history of fascism and from what I heard currently has a fascist leader) has an authoritarian law requiring that people do things in their own homes (kinda like some HOAs in the US. Although, I have to admit, we must have lucked out with a HOA that’s not one of the shitty ones you always hear about)

• PrettyFlyForAFatGuy@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

brit here.

can confirm. i sit on the side of the bath and wash my arse with the shower. The only house i have seen in the UK with a bidet was essentially a mansion

• nitefox@lemmy.worldOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Right now I live abroad and we have just the tub, so yeah same remedy. It’s cursed and annoying though, so I hate it so much

• Donebrach@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

they make attachments you can add to your terlet for such activities, although i’m guessing the UK uses some special kind of non-standard HrH style plumping fixture to supply water (like a square pipe or something?) so maybe they don’t exist there?

• TIN@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Also in the UK, the aftermarket toilet attachments are not in line with building codes because of the possibility of contamination of the water supply, so it’s quite complicated if you don’t have room for a separate bidet.

• rah@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

England seems to traditionally have the toilet separate from the house and for some reason the bidet trend never caught on

Uh… wut?

• rah@feddit.uk
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I live in the UK and nothing you’ve said here is congruent with my experience. I don’t recall ever being in any building whatsoever that had no indoor toilet, including pubs.

there was

In the past. A long way in the past.

as we moved to the later half of the 20th century

The move to the later half of the 20th century was 70 years ago.

• Swedneck
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

This must specifically be like, row homes, right? Where it’s too tightly packed to fit a new room.
          It’s not like houses here in sweden are brand spanking new and yet they all have toilets nowadays even if some of them are ancient.

• Mothra@mander.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

This what I’ve been told- I’ve never been to England, my understanding is that back in the day this was the way especially for suburban and farmland, and that that’s why many old Australian houses still have the toilet separate. Obviously this doesn’t apply to dense or modern areas.

• happyhippo@feddit.it
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Lol. Out of ALL the European countries to pick as example, you chose the worst.

France definitely does not like bidets and French will even ask you why even bother having one, assuming they even know what it’s for.

Try again with Italy. Basically every household has one.

• DonJefe@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Spain checking in here. Bidets are definitely popular in Spain. I suspect that’s how they made their way to south America.

• Sludgeyy@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

No one understands what a bidet really is.

In the old days, they were a separate free-standing device. Not a lot of people have space or money to add one of these types of bidets to their bathrooms

Now they make them as toilet seat attachments that don’t require extra space and really aren’t that expensive.

But people don’t know. Older people will be like, “Oh a bidet? No I don’t want another toilet like device in my bathroom”

So that gets rid of all those people.

Next you have the people that know about the new style bidets that’s just a fancy toilet seat.

Their biggest deterrent is probably cold water. Spraying cold water on their butt doesn’t appeal to most people.

You can get bidets that heat the water, but you have to have power behind your toilet, which not everyone has.

Then you have older people that just can’t work them or don’t feel like they can. Like my grandfather, I installed one with all the bells and whistles for him. Yet hitting a button and doing all that was too complicated. He was 90+ and could barely use a cell phone for basic functions. But he’d rather wipe his butt like he knew than mess with the “complicated” bidet.

Eventually everyone is going to own a bidet, it really is the way to go.

We just aren’t there yet.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

For me it’s because I have had to suffer from UTI’s before and I don’t want to risk some stream of water blowing bacteria into my vagina and then I gotta pee every five seconds and wait for a damn doctor visit because for some fucking reason UTI meds aren’t over the counter where I live.

I can buy the UTI “pain reliever” over the counter but it just temporarily fixes the pain, and the UTI of course continues. Pretty fucking pointless.

• sheogorath@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Weird, in my current country bidet is in widespread usage and I haven’t known anyone getting a UTI from bidet usage.

• EssentialCoffee@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Well, for starters, you don’t pee from your vagina. You could get a yeast infection, yes, but that’s a different issue.

That said, if your bidet is angled so it’s hitting your vagina or, especially, your urethra, it’s likely not installed correctly or you’re sitting way far back on your toilet.*

• There are bidets you can get with the option to angle for washing period blood away, but they tell you in the instructions to wash your butt first so that you don’t get bacteria into your vagina, and you also don’t need to use that function either. I never found it super useful myself, so I’d recommend the cheaper version without that function these days.
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

Well, for starters, you don’t pee from your vagina.

why are you explaining that to me, a woman with a vagina.

I’m aware of that.

• siigna@lemmy.sdf.org
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            10 months ago

stream of water blowing bacteria into my vagina

Because that doesn’t cause issues with your urinary tract.

• A man with a longer urinary tract
      • Sludgeyy@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

You could just find one with low pressure. You don’t need a high power jet.

Simply soaking your crack with water and wiping is a big help.

I’ve never heard of your problem, though, so it’s an interesting point. I know some bidets even have intended settings to wash your front as a woman.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Yeah its just easier for me to get UTI’s so I have to be extra careful. I had a summer where I had 3 UTI’s back to back and it was a nightmare.

Most women get them from sex and there’s a lot of misinformation out there about women’s health.

• Ada@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Having used both types, including a water warming seat installed one, I can’t say enough good things about the free standing ones. The toilet seat ones though seem like a waste of time, even if they warm the water.

• Magister@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Cold water, yeah in winter in Canada your cold water is something like 1°C (33°F), not a pleasant thing

• BarqsHasBite@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Well you flush and that takes out the water in your pipes. Then you get cold ass water from the pipe outside in the ground.

• Sludgeyy@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Water doesn’t have to be 0°C (32°F) to freeze.

Depending on your elevation, it can change.

If the water in your pipes is even close to 1°C you have a serious problem.

You can also hook a bidet to your hot water line

The first bit of water will be wall temperature water and it will take a bit to fully warm up because you have to clear out the lines (some bidets will drain the first bit of water before squirting you)

• AttackBunny@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

There are a large number of Americans that think:

1. Anything touching them there makes them gay - still not sure how your hand and TP is any different
    2. It will hurt - yeah… IDK
    3. It’s gross, or it doesn’t get you clean - uh…wiping some paper on it does? how???
  • Wahots@pawb.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I think the answer is just that most don’t know about them, having grown up in homes without them. They are quite nice though.

• AA5B@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Maybe, but I’d still go with having no idea such things exist. That was me, and the first type I knew about was the seat attachment/replacement

• Wahots@pawb.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I got a $400 one, and it was the best $400 I’ve ever spent. It’s something I use every day, and damn does it improve my day just a little bit more.

• CephaloPOTUS@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

There are dozens of choices that work great for twenty some dollars online here in the US and don’t even replace the seat.

• Immersive_Matthew@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

I think you me question is missing some key words. “Why isn’t the use of the bidet more widespread in the USA and other western countries?”

I am in Vietnam right now and nearly every bathroom has a bum gun to wash your bits. When I was in Japan nearly every bathroom had bits to wash you built into the toilet seat with digital controls. These are not just in homes and nice places, but also at 7-11, train stations, airports and even hole in the wall places. Wish USA/Canada had this as we all know how much it sucks when out and you have a forever wipe.

• xePBMg9@lemmynsfw.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I suspect it’s a case of “We always did it this way, so it’s the superior way”.

• Poopmeister@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

This. In my part of the world, Nordics. No one has it, except really old bathrooms that have a separate bowl with o detachable shower head. But I only saw that once in my life. I installed one a year ago and it’s a game changer.

• MeanEYE@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

It’s a matter of planning and availability. In my country people don’t renovate their houses often and even rarely build them from scratch. Having a bidet requires planning and leaving space for it. Japanese style toilet seats are easier to install in smaller toilets, but they require electricity and/or hot water.

• Bo7a@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

There’s a lot of misunderstanding in this thread. Normal bidets that you buy on Amazon just get fitted under the toilet seat and connected to the water line that drives the toilet. There is no electricity wiring or extra .doodads needed

• kiddblur@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Unless you want heated water. My bathroom water gets pretty damn cold in the winter, but honestly, you get used to it. I don’t have hot water to my bidet, but I survive

• MeanEYE@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

This right here. Winters can be really cold and I think with water that cold my anus could cut rebar.

• Bo7a@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

Same here. Warm water might be even better, but I don’t want to know so that I can continue installing dirt cheap bidets that require no extra work or plumbing :)

• n0m4n@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

I purchased a bidet insert that has a valve that can intake hot and cold water (2 pipes) and output a medium temperature as part of the bidet. It was slightly more expensive, but in winter, is worth it. No electricity needed.

• MeanEYE@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Yeah, because they have many nice features, from warming the seat to drying and washing.

• CouncilOfFriends@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I’ve had no issues with the cheap $20-40 USD bidets from Amazon, while I’m sure the fanciness of a heated bidet would change my life I don’t see the need.

• MeanEYE@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

When you say bidet you are referring to a toilet seat with water or separate wash head next to toilet. When I say bidet am referring to what french call bidet, a separate toilet-like utensil next to toilet. Those things require planning and space since they require drainage, water source, etc.

• Poopmeister@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I think it’s more common now to call a bidet insert a bidet. So just an inser that you fasten between the seat and bowl with an arm for turning on and off the spray. That connects to a T adapter at the inlet on the toilet. Works really good and costs 20-80€/$

• WhipTheLlama@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Japanese style toilet seats

That’s what most people in the USA mean when they say bidet. They’re bidet toilet seats or washlets.

• Ada@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

I was overseas and recovering from surgery. I’d never seen a bidet before arriving in Argentina a few days before, so I still wasn’t used to them.

In any case, I was sitting on this bidet at 3am or something, on painkillers, and almost falling asleep while I sit there. I’m leaning forward, and turn the bidet, and it turns out this bidet has a jet of water almost powerful to reach the roof. And because of the angle I was sitting at, I get this jet of high pressure water right on my clit. I’m pretty sure the noise I made woke most of the neighbours! It was not a fun experience

That being said, I’d still get one here in Australia if I could :)

• silly goose meekah@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          10 months ago

Why do people always act like it’s super difficult to find the clit?

Look at a medical textbook, put your face between her legs and you’ll see where it is. It really isn’t that hard.

I’m aware there are men who are so caught up with toxic masculinity that eating out a woman is not an option, and they probably actually are unable to find the clit. But do people really say “look at me, I’m a toxic person who isn’t able to pleasure their partner because of it” about themselves as a joke?

• Epic2112@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

Not wanting to eat out their significant other isn’t necessarily correlated to toxic masculinity; I think you’re conflating two different things. It’s possible to be selfish completely unrelated to toxic masculinity. Not every instance of a male doing something wrong is attributable to toxic masculinity.

• CephaloPOTUS@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

You can definitely get one in Australia. They are like $30 on the internet delivered right to your house and attach to your toilet in under 5 min.

• ChimaericDesire@lemmynsfw.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

In the US, mostly because of the associations with prostitutes made by American soldiers in Europe during WWII. They were frequently called “whore’s baths”. Personally, I love mine and hate having to use a toilet without one.

• nitefox@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

In Belgium toilets are in their own room, smaller than a super small storage room, with just the toilet, and they don’t have bidets; I call them ghettoilet

• nitefox@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

It is. It’s literally pain. To wash my butt I have to sit on the tub, it’s uncomfy and annoying and disgusting