link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 days ago

parsing it:

• [ʲ] - palatalisation; co-articulate your tongue closer to the hard palate. You can kind of get the difference if you focus on the /f/ of the words “few” /fjuː/ and “fool” /fuːl/, the former is slightly palatalised due to interference of the nearby /j/
    • [ʔ] - glottal stop. If you’re old enough to remember ICQ, it’s the dash in the “oh-oh!” sound. Plenty English speakers use it to render /t/ in the words “butter” and “bottle”, John Lennon for example.
    • [ ̬] - voices the sound represented by the symbol above. In this case, [ʔ̬] would represent a voiced glottal stop, but this won’t happen - you need the glottis open for voicing! However due to sloppy notation people use the symbol for a creaky-voiced glottal approximant.
    • [~] - nasalisation. It’s air slipping through your nose. This can happen in vowels, consonants, or both. If it helps to visualise how to do this: [b̃] = [m], [d̃] = [n]. Now you just need to do it with the above.
    • [ˤ] - pharingealisation. Constrict your pharynx slightly while pronouncing the consonant. (Arabic, Hebrew speakers: “emphatic” consonants are typically pharyngealised.)
    • [ː] - whatever comes before this character should be pronounced longer. e.g. longcat is loːng. (Sloppy people use [:] instead. I do it all the time.)
    • [˥˩˥˩] - tone. Pitch is going high, low, high, low.

…I’m not even trying to pronounce this.

• pruwyben
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 days ago

Based on this I think it’s sort of a nasal gagging sound.