(For other examples, please see Thief: Deadly Shadows and Deus Ex: Invisible War)

Just started playing this recently and I’m absolutely tickled by how it looks. The only thing that’s missing is everything being caked in CHONKY oversaturated low-res bloom so typical of late-era Xbox games. I wouldn’t be surprised if it got removed in this later HD rerelease I am playing, but if it did, it’s a crime against nature

Stranger’s Wrath is a sci-fi Western fps set in the Oddworld universe that asks the question: What if John Marston was a furry that could double jump and run on all fours?

• 12022081631 [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 days ago

this game is so killer. i played it for the first time a couple years back and got probably 3/4 thru

the voice acting is probably the best i’ve heard in any video game. every voice is either pitched up super high or (sometimes) pitched up super low. characters will say a million lines at you all at once because you stepped too close. when you come into town you can start messing with the locals and everyone loses their crap and starts shouting at you in their ridiculous cartoon accents with super pitched up voices.

that terrible game made by the pickle rick guy aped off of the core conceit of this game, which is that ammo is all live creatures you collect. they growl and stuff when you load them into the crossbow. probably sounds weird and cruel but trust me its a good time + not unsettling at all

• doublepepperoni [none/use name]@hexbear.netOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 days ago

every voice is either pitched up super high or (sometimes) pitched up super low. characters will say a million lines at you all at once because you stepped too close

There’s also only one voice actor per species, so all the chicken people in the starting town, for example, speak with the same goofy high-pitched Cletus voice regardless of their gender. I wouldn’t be surprised if most of them were also just Lorne Lanning because they all sound very familiar from Abe’s Oddysee and Exoddus

that terrible game made by the pickle rick guy aped off of the core conceit of this game, which is that ammo is all live creatures you collect. they growl and stuff when you load them into the crossbow. probably sounds weird and cruel but trust me its a good time + not unsettling at all

I assume the whole live ammo thing was just Oddworld Inhabitants trying to do something offbeat and creative within the confines of an FPS. Without looking into the game’s history, I’m assuming the whole reason it’s an FPS in the first place was because no one liked Munch’s Oddysee so they tried to make something more in keeping with the general Xbox brand, ie. shooty game with badass protagonist, while still staying true to the Oddworld ethos. Sadly I think this game bombed pretty hard too. I feel pretty bad for Oddworld Inhabitants in general, I think they’ve just been stepping on rake after rake ever since 1998 with their one success being New n Tasty

Speaking of Munch’s Oddysee, I guess I should play that at some point, but from the moment I first saw screenshots of it in a gaming magazine circa 2001 I just thought it looked like complete ass and had none of the charm of the PS1 Abe games

• 12022081631 [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 days ago

just to be clear since i couldn’t help myself in my previous post, i actually really like the game —

Sadly I think this game bombed pretty hard too. I feel pretty bad for Oddworld Inhabitants in general, I think they’ve just been stepping on rake after rake ever since like 1998

even if this is the story, i think they can be proud of making a really hilarious (if rough around the edges), totally unique, genuinely fun and soulful game

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          7 days ago

It was just tough going from the lush pre-rendered backgrounds of Oddysee and Exoddus to those really barren looking open areas in Munch’s Oddysee, like so much of the visual identity of the series was lost instantly

• Smeagolicious [they/them]@hexbear.net
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 days ago

Yep - part of the reason why I’m not the biggest fan of the remakes of Oddysee/Exoddus. The style just isn’t quite the same rendered as it is in modern 3d

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 days ago

Graphically it wouldn’t be out of place on the 360, at least played in 1080p in this remaster, but the level design, character movement and especially the menus and GUI exude OG Xbox

• CredibleBattery [he/him, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 days ago

Aw man, old crappy xbox western aesthetic was my jam back in the day, i remember having played ALL the Call Of Juarez games, even the weird modern-day one that has the mexican Cartel instead of outlaws for the 360.

• LaGG_3 [he/him, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 days ago

(For other examples, please see Thief: Deadly Shadows and Deus Ex: Invisible War)

Thief: Deadly Shadows and Tenchu: Return from Darkness were 100% my shit back in the day lol

• Awoo [she/her]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      6 days ago

Tenchu

One title that SHOULD have an actually good new game but doesn’t yet.

Picture this:

1. Sekiro combat but with bigger consequences/vulnerability to incentivise the stealth approach.

2. Proper stealth options.

3. Hitman-style open world levels.

4. GADGETS GADGETS GADGETS to make loadouts for levels.

It should have happened already but we’re being held out on. FromSoftware even own the rights and they’re holding out on us.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 days ago

I had to look up Return from Darkness and it turns out that’s just what Wrath of Heaven ended up being called on the Xbox monke-beepboop

We had Wrath of Heaven on the PS2 and played the shit out of the unlockable versus mode (remember random unlockable versus modes???)

• LaGG_3 [he/him, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 days ago

Co-op?! Don’t remember that at all- was that an Xbox exclusive thing 🤔

It must have been. It was fun as shit and I remember double executions you could pull off on dudes.

Unfortunately a lot of mid niche franchises didn’t survive past the Xbox 360/PS3

Some of the bigger indie games sort of fill this niche for me, at least. Not quite the same, but you gotta do what you gotta do!

• Gorb [they/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    6 days ago

Original xbox aesthetic is my favourite. At the time it was like a glimpse into what the next gen would be like so much so that when i got an xbox 360 i was actually kinda disappointed cos I’d seen most of what was to offer in doom 3 and hl2, thief, chaos theory.

Strangers wrath is a very good game its such a shame munch’s odyssey fukin sucked balls. I loved odyssey and exodus and their first 3d game felt like a really jank shovelware title just running after collectibles like cmon.

Anyway I’d recommend xbox enjoyers play dinosaur hunting, there’s a translated iso floating about. Its monster hunter but with guns.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 days ago

I’ve just started playing it but from what I understand it’s a completely standalone game completely unconnected to Abe’s story. I don’t think this even has any of the species from the other games