The Vehicle Privacy Report creates privacy labels under two broad categories: what a manufacturer collects (including identifiers, biometrics, location, data from synced phones, and user profiles) and whom a manufacturer sells or shares data with (affiliates, service providers, insurance firms, government, and data brokers). For the vast majority of cars and trucks released in the past few years, it’s likely that most types of data are collected.

• expand@exploding-heads.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Every industry has done all they can to tap into our data because it’s easy money. Most people can’t imagine how something as unremarkable as every action, thought, or word of their daily lives could be aggregated in a way that could potentially restrict or hurt them in the future so it’s impossible to stop. To them it’s just a (minor) cost of “innovation.”

Personally, I’ll be consulting my local poor people on how to keep my car running for years to come with duct tape and wd40.

• ihatetroons@exploding-heads.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I’m guessing for anything detailed that it would be different for each manufacturer, and probably even different for various models or years (bc parts contractors for electronics might change, wiring could be different etc)

generically:

1. Never ever pair your phone’s bluetooth with your car unless you are a techie and know how to isolate shit OR you don’t have anything to track on the connected device (e.g. like maybe a 2nd old phone that you bought secondhand with cash and a fake name and you only use to play untraceable audiobooks/podcasts off)
      2. Probably would need to look into your car’s OnStar or whatever GPS system they bundle in these days, then research how to disable that. If you’re lucky maybe you could disable it by finding the corresponding fuse and leaving that one disconnected… but somehow I think it would not be that easy.
      3. Not sure what they mean by “biometric” data about you… If it’s fingerprint, you might be able to defeat that with electrical/duct tape or a steering wheel cover but it really depends on if they force you to register to use the car or some shit. Really that kinda goes for other forms of biometric data like voice / retinal too… you’re pretty much at the mercy of how much of an asshole they are about it. e.g. Don’t buy shit that forces you to use it and then you can at least choose not to.

Even then… I doubt there’s a way to kill any tracking data about your driving that gets stored on the car without knowing a good deal about electronics.

But really the best way is like others have said: get an older car (or find one that you can confirm doesn’t do this shit and get that)

• Masterofballs@exploding-heads.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I just bought a Tesla. It probably records me taking a shit somehow. It’s just so cool though. Had me thinking if anyone will ever jail break these smart cars.