• redcalcium@c.calciumlabs.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Me as a junior dev writing 1000 lines of spaghetti code everyday: “Let’s go!!!”

Me as a senior dev writing 5 lines of code everyday and spent the rest of the day reviewing thousands LoC commits from my juniors: “I didn’t sign up for this. I should’ve learn carpentry instead.”

• ThesePaycheckAvenging@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

That’s more like it. Also, the more senior I became the more my LoC “productivity” became negative. Now, I get pleasure from deleting obsolete shit or replacing error prone spaghetti with a simple API call the author did not know about (more often than I like to admit that author is myself).

• useful_idiot@lemmy.eatsleepcode.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

The worst part of being a senior dev is doing all the responsibilities as a team lead but not having the resources in place to not be required to be an individual contributor. I can’t imagine many people wake up each morning excited to be wearing both hats and doing a poor job at each.

• interolivary@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

“I didn’t sign up for this. I should’ve learn carpentry instead.”

I know a programmer who got fed up with corporate bullshit and did exactly that; they just got their diploma from a vocational school and now they’re officially a carpenter.

• deaf_fish@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yep, 90% of my time while turning the button, a different color is spent teaching the juniors how to make their five web pages worth of content and unblocking people who are stuck because they did something stupid.

• PowerSeries@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Yuuup. Webpage with a button to toggle a bit in a database. For a personal project, 1 day. For work? Well it took a few weeks to figure out what database, what pass security review, register our subdomain, get traffic quota, revise security review, mocks, learn new framework as the old one is deprecated, set up a new group to run the app as, including admin group and two person authorization to make changes. Set up autopush and test environment. Uh key rotation schedule. Reply to comments on the design doc questioning our choice of database. Translations for all the text.

Only took a quarter.

Edit: oh I forgot gdpr deletion service. But we got to hand that off to another team. Yaaay.

• Justlikeapenguin@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Because before we got a standup, then we got to follow figma design on what color of blue it is. Then we got to branch off and change the color, then test, then deploy, then hand off to QA and explain why the color is blue and not green. Then wait for product to confirm the button is indeed blue…. Im tired……