• Ilandar@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 days ago

Comment on the YouTube video review:

It has a 60Hz refresh rate and USB 2.0, just like an $800 iPhone 16. What’s not to like?

• kirk781OP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 days ago

Unless Samsung removes the 3.5 mm jack and microSD slot as well, it won’t equal the iPhone!

Though seriously, I have a spare Samsung A series phone lying around. I used it for couple of weeks and it was unstable(like it often froze and restarted in the middle of something). I dunno if it was happening because I was using Goodlock modules on that phone which Samsung doesn’t officially support. But it was lackluster. The audio jack was barely outputting loud enough sound via IEMs( same set plugged into other Android phones produced louder sounds).

I know this is supposed to be an entry level handset and I appreciate that Samsung is giving 4 years worth of security updates(many mid level Chinese OEMs won’t give that), but the hardware is a little too underwhelming.

• limerod@reddthat.comM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 days ago

Usually, the reason my phone restarts is due to using virtual RAM and having the phone under memory pressure. Disabling or reducing the virtual RAM made the phone snappy at the cost of increased App reloads. Choose the balance you like. The hardware is not strong enough for multi tasking anyway. Assuming it has RAM plus.

I’m speaking from experience of using galaxy A22 5g which had 6GB of RAM and 128GB of storage. But, this is still true on my realme smartphone with 12GB of RAM.

• Ilandar@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        4 days ago

The A series has a lot of variance within it now. Personally I think anything from the A2x up is pretty good (the A25 had an Exynos chip, a 120 Hz AMOLED display and 5 years of security updates) but those beneath are more akin to what the J series used to be.

• kirk781OP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 days ago

I was talking about the real entry level stuff, most likely the predecessor of the phone mentioned in this article. It had 4+64 GB combo and I think, the starting point. Of course, Samsung mid level phones are good. Four OS upgrades is quite good.

• Ilandar@aussie.zone
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 days ago

Yeah, I guess my point is that they all come under that A bracket now so it’s a bit harder to distinguish between the good ones and the not-so-good ones if you don’t understand the differences/haven’t done any research. For example, some people might think an A05s is somewhat comparable to an A55 because of the similar naming structure and design, but there is massive gap in quality between those two phones. The A55 is a great device that would be suitable for almost anyone (ignoring specific complaints like no headphone jack or the size) whereas the A05s would barely meet anyone’s minimum standards. The price difference is an indicator of course, but this was all made easier when there was a J series that was clearly designated for Samsung’s most basic smartphones.