• FaceDeer@fedia.io
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 days ago

It’s very straightforward math based on the article you posted. It’s not saying that a nuclear war wouldn’t be bad, or shouldn’t be avoided. Of course that should be avoided.

My issue is with the people who insist that humanity as a species is at risk from nuclear war. That’s the part that’s wrong.

• Ashelyn@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 days ago

Keep in mind that the 5 billion figure is literally just from food insecurity and famine during and following nuclear winter.

More people would die in the explosions directly, and more would die from the resulting fires + building collapses + radiation fallout + infrastructural collapse.

Given that most targets are population centers and military targets (often both), it doesn’t look good.

But yeah I mean there probably would be some survivors.

• FaceDeer@fedia.io
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            3 days ago

But yeah I mean there probably would be some survivors.

This is literally the whole point I’m making. I really don’t get the downvotes, it seems perfectly straightforward.

• VirtualOdour@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              3 days ago

Yeah, especially in the southern hemisphere, a few centuries later we might have slightly different genetics through rapid evolution via population collapse but we’d probably be back developing with a bit more accurate folk knowledge and probably actually a lot of remembered tech.

It’d be terrible to the people it happened to but barely a blip in the life history of the planet from the first evolution to the last lifeforms leaving or dying.

• PolandIsAStateOfMind@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 days ago

You know, it is one thing to be a malthusian, another to be a malthusian after like 1850, but to also be a fucking stupid malthusian who ignore everything except the simple number is beyond anything i ever seen.