Logline

Commander Una Chin-Riley faces court-martial along with possible imprisonment and dishonorable dismissal from Starfleet, and her defense is in the hands of a lawyer who’s also a childhood friend with whom she had a terrible falling out.

Written by Dana Horgan

Directed by Valerie Weiss

• triktrek@startrek.website
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Hm… I suppose I might get downvoted, but I thought that the episode was just okay. Don’t get me wrong, I love Star Trek episodes that aren’t action-oriented and have actual good drama, but we have done courtroom dramas already multiple times. TNG had it with Measure of a Man, which was superb at the time. Battlestar Galactica had that one space court drama that was well executed too. While this episode was maybe emotional and had the allegory on modern society, I thought the episodes borrowed too heavily from so many courtroom drama clichés (objections/“you may proceed, but treat carefully”, making someone who would otherwise be on your side be the prosecution, having the defendant lawyer make their own client look bad at the beginning, making prosecution read off a law in front of the court).

• jmp242@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I have to say, the emotional allegory on modern society felt the most like TOS / TNG to me so IDK lol. And it’s probably impossible with what, 850 hours of Star Trek over the 50+ years, to do something that hasn’t already “been done” on a show. This one had a decent (IMHO) update for a civil rights sort of POV, and did a good job of showing how you can be very high minded as a society or as a person, and yet still be hypocritical and prejudiced in a specific way. I also liked that they also were willing to step outside of the “woke strait jacket” some people claim is there, and show April not being consistent re breaking rules vs when to follow them, and saying “who this person was born as is more important than what I knew and know about them”, yet it wasn’t the “Bad White Male” trope. We all can be blinded, we all make mistakes, and we all probably aren’t completely consistent.

This was also one place where I feel like the “Federation isn’t perfect / is the bad guy” is both traditionally canonical and justified well in the show. It’s also IMHO well done and portrayed why and how the law existed, and also calls out that it’s a historical fear, not an actual current issue. It also plays well with the “Just because one law is wrong doesn’t mean you should be able to lie on an application”, though they didn’t address it fully.

• Jon-H558@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I really.dont understand the whole make the prosecution read the law cliche, is there some rule that actors can’t speak as long as a lawyer would do closing argument?

• goGetF1@startrek.website
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

The audience would get bored if they spoke that long, at least what would be the theory. They also don’t use PowerPoints on TV…