• Dark Arc@social.packetloss.gg
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 days ago

That’s really not even close to the optimistic scenario. It’s arguably not even in the pessimistic scenario if you’re not just in the “make stuff up club.”

https://cdn.oceanservice.noaa.gov/oceanserviceprod/hazards/sealevelrise/2.0-Future-Mean-Sea-Level.pdf

We’re talking at most half a meter of rise by 2050, at most 2 meters by 2100, at most 4 meters by 2150. The intermediate projection is a third of a meter by 2050. The optimistic projection (which we’re not going to hit) is 3/20th of a meter.

Climate change is real. The risk of famine is real. The risk of global conflict is real. The risk of trying storms is real. However, “doomsday everybody dies” is not really on any serious projections. The worst case is “a lot of people in a lot of poor nations die and rich nations have more wars and more immigration.”

• Geth@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 days ago

That is someone applying imperial system logic to the metric system. No one in their right mind uses fractions to describe 15cm.

• Noel_Skum@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 days ago

Yeah - really confusing. I worked it out as (c.) 6 inches and then further confused myself as to why I was thinking inches from metres. Wild. Luckily I’ve lived with both metric and imperial and am apparently bilingual.