• dipbeneaththelasers@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

For anyone wondering like me:

A Tannoy is a system of loudspeakers used to make public announcements, for example at a fair or at a sports stadium. [British, trademark]regional note: in AM, use public address system.

• Kilgore Trout@feddit.it
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

The funniest announcement in my railway station has been: “The train xxxxx coming from y and directed to z has been canceled because someone stole the electrical cables on the line”.

Funny only since it wasn’t my train.

• Hadriscus@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

A few years ago in Paris I was waiting for my train to Marseille and the announcer was rambling about our destination like he were paid to advertise it. “Marseille ! its cicadas ! its legendary sunny weather ! the smiles on people’s faces !” after a while he seemed to run out of things to list so he went on with random stuff “its horses ! the ladies’ perfume !” I had a good laugh

• Mothra@mander.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Similarly I remember there was a (driver?) announcing the stations when I commuted from StLeonards to Central in Sydney, and he was hilarious, cracking jokes and congratulating people for not blocking the doors, keeping time records of how long passengers took to alight and aboard the trains

• SuperApples@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I came here to comment that Melbourne had a few train and tram drivers that were very chatty and brightened your commute. I don’t miss trying to change at South Yarra at rush hour, though.

• youngalfred@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Remind me of a time where the announcer called the three-car train arriving ‘petite’.

Got to have fun where you can!

• fakeman_pretendname@feddit.uk
          cake
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

No, but I learnt to speak in the Tannoyese dialect when I did some work over on the Tannoy Islands a few years back.

It’s technically a form of English, though as one of the more isolated former colonies, the “patois” has become quite difficult to understand - which is quite amusing, given the Tannoy Islanders’ tendency to apply to jobs which involve amplified public speaking.

• DNOS@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

What magicial land di you live in where u can understand shit when they talk …

• worfamerryman@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I’m surprised his bosses allow it. It seems that everyone is expected to act like a robot in their jobs.

• TheEmpireStrikesDak@thelemmy.club
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Once at, it was either Oxford Circus or Piccadilly, the announcer was doing the announcements in a Dalek voice. “Be careful on the escalaaaaator!”

• kkard2@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

why do i understand this

even tho it doesn’t make sense, he sounds too happy for a british person

• AngryCommieKender@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I’ve never met anyone that voluntarily refers to themselves as “fat” that didn’t have a good sense of humor.

Then again they may have just snagged themselves an optimistic American transplant

• Blastasaurus@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I bought a vehicle when the pandemic hit, but the last time I took a public transit train we had hometown boy Seth Rogan doing the announcements.

• machinaeZER0@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

A few weeks ago I got on the train home and whoever had control of the intercom (not the guy at the front, though he was having a grand time) proceeded to yell a bunch of stuff about anime (mostly names) during the time when they normally say to hit the button to request street level stops. I will always wonder who that hero was, it totally made my day.