Hello everyone,

Opening this thread as a kind of follow-up on my thread yesterday about the drop in monthly active users on !fediverse@lemmy.ml.

As I pointed in the thread, I personally think that having some consolidated core communities would be a better solution for content discovery, information being posted only once, and overall community activity.

One of the examples of the issue of having two (or more) exactly similar Fediverse communities (!fediverse@lemmy.world and !fediverse@lemmy.ml ) is that is leads to

• people having to subscribe to both to see the content
  • posters having to crosspost to both
  • comment being spread across the crossposts instead of having all of the discussion and reactions happening in the same place.

I am very well aware of the decentralized aspect of Lemmy being one of its core features, but it seems that it can be detrimental when the co-existing communities are exactly the same.

We are talking about different news seen from the US or Europe, or a piece of news discussed in places with different political orientations.

The two Fediverse communities look identical, there is no specific editorial line. The difference in the audience is due to the federation decisions of the instances, but that’s pretty much it, and as the topic of the community is the Fediverse itself, the community should probably be the one accessible from most of the Fediverse users.

What do you think?

Also, as a reminder, please be respectful in the comments, it’s either one of the rules of the community or the instance. Disagreeing is fine, but no need to be disrespectful.

• HamSwagwich@showeq.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

User A on Hexbear doesn’t have to choose, he can only access to lemmy.ml. He posts there. He has no option to choose the other one due to the defederation.

User B on Lemmy.world chooses lemmy.world. He posts there.

I understood what you wrote, but you are still not making any sense. A huser on Hexbear, if he wants to access fediverse@lemmy.world goes to another server that has access to that. There is a choice. If the instance you are signed up at is defederating like idiots (such as Hexbear), then move elsewhere. It’s a simple choice. It’s anything but “Having no options”

How is any of those communities going to die if people keep posting to both?

Exactly. Stop. You are creating the problem you are complaining about. Stop doing that and the problem goes away.

• BlazeOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

If the instance you are signed up at is defederating like idiots (such as Hexbear),

Sh.itjust.works, the 4th biggest instance, is defederated by beehaw, the 7th largest instance.

Should the 2357 monthly active users of Sh.itjust.works just leave to another instance to be able to access Beehaw communities?

Stop doing that and the problem goes away.

You can also yourself choose only one community and only see the content once. Then your problem goes away.

• HamSwagwich@showeq.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Sh.itjust.works, the 4th biggest instance, is defederated by beehaw, the 7th largest instance.

Should the 2357 monthly active users of Sh.itjust.works just leave to another instance to be able to access Beehaw communities?

Literally yes. That is how it works. If you don’t like the federation policies of any given instance, MOVE. There is no reason to stick around an instance that has shitty policies. Why can’t you understand this?

You can also yourself choose only one community and only see the content once. Then your problem goes away.

I don’t have a problem. You are the one that has a problem with it. I subscribe to one community. My server doesn’t defederate from anyone. I literally have zero problems of the type you are describing. Your problems are self-made. They aren’t a problem with Lemmy, they are a problem with you putting yourself into that situation. It’s the literal translation of the meme with the kid on the bike sticking the branch in his wheel and then blaming the bike when he crashes.

• BlazeOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

Literally yes. That is how it works. If you don’t like the federation policies of any given instance, MOVE. There is no reason to stick around an instance that has shitty policies. Why can’t you understand this?

Well, good luck selling them that.

And good luck telling people not to crosspost when the audience is so fragmented.

I guess we can just agree to disagree.

• HamSwagwich@showeq.com
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

Why am I going to sell them anything? It’s a self made problem that is instantly fixed by stopping doing what the complaint is about.

It’s like you are going to the doctor and saying “Doc, my hand hurts!” When the doc asks why you say you’ve been hitting your hand with a hammer. He tells you to stop doing that but you say “Good luck with that” instead of “oh right. Yeah that makes sense”

Lol what?