There was some uncertainty after TNG’s season 3 finale “The Best of Both Worlds part 1” if Picard or the show itself would return.

Also, Google, baby… what is you doin?

• aeronmelon@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 hours ago

That’s the opposite of what I heard while TNG was in the air.

Paramount renewed TNG in three-season blocks. They greenlit three seasons and renewed for three more, then chose to add an additional season knowing it would be the last. They repeated this tactic with both DS9 and Voyager.

At least that’s what I kept hearing during the 1990s.

• ummthatguy@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 hours ago

Apparently it was initially all in one go:

Although the cast members were contracted for eight seasons,[52] Paramount ended The Next Generation after seven, which disappointed and puzzled some of the actors, and was an unusual decision for a successful television show. Paramount then made films using the cast, which it believed would be less successful if the show were still on television.[53] An eighth season also would likely have reduced the show’s profitability due to higher cast salaries and a lower price per episode when sold as strip programming.[52]

Per Wiki

• aeronmelon@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 hours ago

Huh. I wonder if cast contracts were separate from the show’s renewal status.

Because even though they had eight-year contracts, the show was supposedly on the chopping block after three seasons. If it had been cancelled, what would they have done for the remaining five years?

Maybe what I heard had more to do with DS9 and Voyager.