The Supreme Court has rejected an emergency appeal from Nevada’s Green Party seeking to include presidential candidate Jill Stein on the ballot in the battleground state.

The court’s order Friday, without any noted dissents, allows ballot preparation and printing to proceed in Nevada without Stein and other Green Party candidates included.

The outcome is a victory for Democrats who had challenged the Greens’ inclusion on the ballot in a state with a history of extremely close statewide races. In 2020, President Joe Biden outpaced former President Donald Trump by fewer than 35,000 votes in the state.

• barsquid@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    14 hours ago

I’m not trying to get the state of Nevada to select me to replace bathtubs for the federal government. (Neither is Jill in this analogy, of course, she is a Russian asset. But for sake of argument.)

Weird little strawman comparison replacing nationwide responsibility with individual responsibility and an entire campaign team expected to be able to fill out forms with an individual assumed to be unfamiliar with them.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      12 hours ago

Also, if I get fucked over by the city because I didn’t read the fine print, that’s my problem. If the president gets fucked over because they don’t read the fine print, that’s the country’s problem.

• xmunk@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      13 hours ago

Analogies aren’t always strawmen, I wrote that up to make the situation more relatable since it’s easy to criticize bureaucracy as being obvious until you’re knee deep in it.