Tho I must admit that I would never get that close to the surface with my bare hands while doing this.

• tinsukE@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    14 hours ago

Brazilian here. Perfectly safe (color-wise; of course it can be polluted as hell despite its color, just like any other river).

Our ground/mud has a different color. Some areas on the south even have a red soil (very fertile, but makes everything about ground level look dirty very quickly): https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_soil

There’s great variety of water colors even in the same area, just search for images “meeting of the waters Manaus”:

confluence between the Black river of black water and the Solimões river of muddy water, where the waters of the two rivers run side by side without mixing

• skibidi@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 hours ago

Just jumping in to say that red soils are not very fertile. They are nutrient-poor in the necessary macro-nutrients (nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorus) and have a very poor ability to retain water. They are very rocky - little organic matter content - which limits both water retention and cationic exchange capacity (affecting N+ and K+ bioavailability), and tend to be acidic.

Cultivation is possible, but it requires large amounts of fertilizers and soil conditioning agents (liming to raise pH and add calcium, addition of organic matter). In effect, recreating an artificial soil that is closer in nutrient availability to the black soils present in the world’s most fertile regions (which today are also heavily fertilized).