Can’t imagine using my system without this.

• thingsiplay@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    15 hours ago

I’ve installed it for a while and lot of stuff work out of the box, including images in the terminal. But I did not get around to use it more often. It’s pretty good and I think its a full replacement for the usual terminal file managers, but don’t take my word for it. I previously used vifm a little bit and have no other experience.

• Eyck_of_denesle@lemmy.zipOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      15 hours ago

I used ranger and it’s a solid improvement over it. If you are into tui apps you will love it, if you aren’t it’s ok. It also has plugin system, I use 2 plugins to compress files and get file size info. I love it.

• thingsiplay@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        14 hours ago

I often use it to navigate into a directory, using it as a directory selector (auto cd on exit). An essential plugin to me is https://github.com/yazi-rs/plugins/tree/main/jump-to-char.yazi , to have a Vim like quick jump with f and a letter and n for next. The default f functionality to filter is now set to F, so I don’t lose that by overriding.

Still need to handle archives too. I also want to write my own plugins someday if I get to use it more often.

• Eyck_of_denesle@lemmy.zipOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          14 hours ago

It does handles all types of archives by default. Encrypted ones too.

How do you auto cd, I always wanted that but didn’t brother to check docs for it. If I remember correctly it’s by launching it as a shell script.

• thingsiplay@beehaw.org
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            13 hours ago

Yes, it’s a simple shell function; needs to be a function in your bashrc, not a script, because cd doesn’t work like that. Just copy the function from https://yazi-rs.github.io/docs/quick-start#shell-wrapper into your .bashrc:

yy() {
                local tmp
                local cwd
                tmp="$(mktemp -t "yazi-cwd.XXXXXX")"
                yazi "${@}" --cwd-file="${tmp}"
                if cwd="$(cat -- "${tmp}")" && [ -n "${cwd}" ] && [ "${cwd}" != "${PWD}" ]; then
                    builtin cd -- "${cwd}" || return
                fi
                rm -f -- "${tmp}"
            }

I use yy instead single y.