• Nuke_the_whales@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        20 hours ago

I’m an atheist and even I know that’s a weird comparison. You can’t copyright the name Jesus. Or Loki even cause they’re deities. But Skywalker as a name is for sure made up by Lucas. Maybe in 500 years when star wars is a recognized religion, but the star wars people need to do some conquering and crimes against humanity to qualify for that

• stoly@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 hours ago

My comment is not about them using copyrighted names. It’s about how silly people are who name children over fictional characters.

• Zahille7@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 days ago

True and fair, but what do you think when you hear that someone’s name is Loki (who isn’t from a Scandinavian country)?

• FinishingDutch@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 days ago

And Jedi is actually recognised as an official religion in the US. And there’s plenty of people who identify as Jedi in the UK as well. So one could certainly argue that it’s violating someone’s religious beliefs by not allowing that name. At least Luke Skywalker has some evidence of existing…

• Kbobabob@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 days ago

At least Luke Skywalker has some evidence of existing…

Both are book fairy tales that had movie adaptations. They are more similar.