I want to set up location sharing for my family/friends, but

• without having a closed source app having access to my location/sensors all the time
  • be able to choose when I want to share

Any recommendations?

Edit for those who find this later: I ended up choosing Traccar suggested by @mbirth@lemmy.ml, but big thanks to everyone who brought some ideas to the table! I’ll leave my configs here.

My Docker Compose file

My traccar.xml

• Otter@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 days ago

Some I’ve heard mentioned include

• OwnTracks
    • Home assistant with nabu casa

I haven’t explored either

• helpmyusernamewontfi@lemmy.today
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 days ago

Not sure if this will help, but find my device on F-Droid is awesome. You can use generic SMS and send “fmd locate” or you can use third party apps such as signal. This makes it so it’ll only trigger whenever you receive that text message rather it running 24/7

It allows you to setup a trusted set of contacts who can then send you a text message “fmd locate”, and it’ll reply with an openstreetmaps link showing where you are. It’s not real time tho

And you can disable it simply by turning off your location

• mbirth@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 days ago

After Google Latitude shut down, I went with OwnTracks logging into the light-weight php-owntracks-recorder.

I’ve since migrated that to Traccar (normally used for car fleet management) on server-side and am still using OwnTracks to push the location updates from my iPhone.

• powermaker450OP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

OwnTracks setup was a bit confusing to me and I never got it working. traccar looks pretty nice though, I’ll check it out!

• mbirth@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 days ago

I’m using OwnTracks in HTTP mode as I couldn’t be bothered with MQTT. For that, you only need the HTTP(S) endpoint/URL to log to, optionally user credentials and then it’s a “TrackerID”, “UserID” and “DeviceID” so the receiving server knows who’s talking.

Side note: Traccar uses different ports to receive different protocols. For OwnTracks protocol, the correct port is 5144.

My OwnTracks configuration is basically like this:

• TrackerID: 1
        • DeviceID: Phone
        • UserID: mb
        • URL: https://mytraccarserver.com:5144 (the port itself is HTTP-only IIRC, but I’ve mapped Traefik Proxy in front of it which handles HTTPS)
        • powermaker450OP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 days ago

I tried both MQTT and just the plain HTTP variant, and I couldn’t get either to work. I’ve fully settled on the latter you mentioned, Traccar. it’s pretty much what I’ve wanted: self-hosted, easy to set up, beautiful web interface. Thanks for the suggestions!

• ChapulinColorado@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 day ago

It’s shit for automating things and especially useless outside the Apple ecosystem, but it does offer the option to turn off sharing.

Apple ID -> Find My -> Share My Location

Since it’s closed source it’s possible they still capture the location and I would t trust it, but in practice anyone that you’ve allowed to see your location (for an hour, day, while on-route) gets a “location unknown” on their app of the toggle is off.

• powermaker450OP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 days ago

for two reasons, I can’t use this.

1. Android. Me, my family. Our past phones were, our current phones are, and future phones will be Android phones.
      2. I’m looking for whatever it may be to be OSS and self-hostable (if the community name didn’t give that implication away)