• 1 Post
  • 54 Comments
Joined 1 year ago
cake
Cake day: June 21st, 2023

help-circle

• then remove that “colossal attack surface” by compiling a custom kernel and utilities that only includes the features the product needs. create a system tuned to the exact product to make it extremely reliable. almost everything electronic you see in commercial use is Linux because of this very fact.

Many medical devices run Linux.

Toyota, Tesla, Audi, Mercedes, and Hyundai vehicles use Linux.

you certainly can rely on it for your life and nearly every electronic device you use will use some derivative of it.

• I’d say that bloat is whatever you define it to be and can vary depending on the power of your system.

I care less about how much resources apps are taking up on my desktop (32GB RAM, Ryzen 7700X), but I do bring my concerns over to my laptop (8GB RAM, Ryzen 4500U).

the one thing I cannot stand are electron apps and anything similar. they are a whole browser bundled with an unoptimized interface, and will eat up what used to be a decent amount of RAM for a laptop back then, as well as my battery life. for this reason I always try to find native apps that use less power and less RAM, which in turn improve my battery life.

this is just one example of where you can draw the line for bloat, although you are completely correct in saying that it is subjective.

• in my personal experience of using it, it doesn’t feel very polished in most places + strange bugs like being unable to install certain packages. doesn’t have the comforts of a distro like Pop OS or Mint (i.e. automatic timeshift setup on first time boot, checking for missing dependencies for other packages). that’s just my personal opinion on it.