I was about to create the daily thread using the mod account, but it seems LW is having issues again.

Do you think we should move this space to another instance such as https://discuss.online/?

99.976% uptime based on their status page: https://status.discuss.online/

• freamon@endlesstalk.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

The instance I’m on was down for scheduled maintenance earlier today. If you’re on lemmy.world, and that phrase is unfamiliar, ‘scheduled maintenance’ is when your server isn’t available, but you were given plenty of notice beforehand and it comes back better.

The admin mentioned that he’s moved about 100GB of images over to a new service.

I thought I understood how images were federated. I thought that it was just text that was shared between instances (including a link to wherever an image was uploaded first), but it seems like many images are copied all over.

To use one 3.54MB example, uploaded by a sopuli.xyz member for a post to !gameart@sopuli.xyz:

original image
    my instance
    feddit.nl
    lemmy.world
    communick.news

Anyway, as to the main question, I believe that everything should be moved from lemmy.world in its current state, so ‘yes’.

• BlazeOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Thanks for your feedback.

Indeed, I notes that pictures are copied, which seems weird

• BlazeOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Thank you for your support.

I’m a bit busy right now, but I’ll try to contact the admins of the suggested instance in the coming days.

If you have any other suggestion for instance, feel free!

• orangeNgreen@lemmy.worldM
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

I wish I had some useful advice, but my knowledge of instances is fairly limited. I haven’t experienced any downtime over at lemmy.ca, but I really only use that one when lemmy.world is down, or when I’m trying to test federation issues. I also have an account at fanaticus.social, but that’s mostly for sports-related content. Not sure this community would fit in over there. I do have to say, the niche instances seem to be nice. But spreading the word might be a little tougher.

• BlazeOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

It’s okay, no worries, thank you!

• BlazeOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Good to see someone from Sffa here!

I will, and make an announcement too

• cubedsteaks@lemmy.today
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I come here from lemmy.today and it looks like I’d have to make another account for the discuss.online instance

• BlazeOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Wait, you know that you can access a community from whatever instance without having to recreate an account, right?

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

How do I do that? When I looked there, it’s asking me to login. When I visit other instances, I’m not asked to log in.

• BlazeOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Actually indeed discuss.online seems to have an issue.

How is lemmy.today? Are you happy with it? I had a quick look, the instance seems nice. We could maybe open our new community there!

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

It’s been great for me but I’m also in Oregon where it’s based out of. I have yet to have it go down for me either!

I haven’t been on Lemmy that long but I think it’s been about two weeks at least? And no issues.

• BlazeOP
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

Good to hear, I’ll keep it in mind!