• TransplantedSconie@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    17 hours ago

Eliminate the fillabuster and expand the Supreme Court plz. It should be one judge per circuit, and that’s 13 now.

Also, the expansion of the House wouldn’t be a bad thing. It was supposed to keep up with the population but was capped in the 20s.

• Bluefalcon
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        16 hours ago

Not sure about two but Washington D.C. should have statehood.

• frezik@midwest.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          15 hours ago

The 2020 referendum in PR had a majority (52.5%) in favor of statehood. It’s now simply waiting on Congress to accept.

Now, it is a small majority, and you could plausibly argue that the result would be different if taken again. This decision is also effectively permanent; states don’t have the right to leave of their own accord. It seems like you should have a stronger majority than that for such a big decision.

As an outsider, I think their current status as a territory is completely untenable. Hell, we should never have kept them for more than a decade or so after the Spanish-American War. The case being what it is, it should be up to the people of PR to either become a state or become completely independent. The only referendum on the table says they become a state.

There is another referendum up for vote this November.

• bobs_monkey@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            15 hours ago

Interesting. When I was there in 2022, most of the people there I talked about it with basically like it the way it is, especially considering that many individuals are not liable for federal income taxes.