• Nacktmull@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

The good ones also don´t do things to their cats without the cats consent. I guess that’s a good approach with most species - probably even humans

• hdnsmbt@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Your own fault for having a face and toes and dangling both in front of feral killers. Also, they wanted food and you chose to selfishly indulge in resting your body while your superiors literally fought starvation with their last bit of strength left. I also assume the bottom of the feeding bowl was visible, you monster! You probably deserve everything you got.

• DocMcStuffin@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Are you sure your cats aren’t assassins? Their playful demeanor may just be an act so you put down your guard.

• asteriskeverything@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Yeah lol although I wouldn’t necessarily classify them as bad owners, but I agree the “random” bites and scratches usually have some good indication ahead of time.

The cat I raised doesn’t really scratch but will swat. Now that she is a senior I even feel comfortable doing the under blanket play because she stays gentle and recognizes it is still me.

Now my partner’s cat though… I dont get hurt by him often at all cuz body language, but he will legitimately walk up to my partner and just leap into the air and grab on. Or walk up and bite. Kitty just loves being a jackass with him but normal with me.

• Caesium@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Of course personality comes into play, but seriously, treat a cat right and they will never hurt someone one purpose.

I got scratched a lot by one of my cats, but that was because he was SO EXCITED when I got home he absolutely had to be on me as soon as I opened the door. Which usually involved using claws to climb up me lol.

• livus@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

What can I say, toxoplasma gondii is a hell of a drug.

And the expression on that cat’s face is super cute, yes.

• Scrof@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

That’s honestly extremely impressive to me how cats basically have mind control powers via an honest to god bioweapon. They truly are the absolute peak of evolution.

• fakeman_pretendname@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

I’ve only been scratched once in two years and it was an accident due to a fairly unlikely farcical comedy scene.

Essentially, if you’re sat on a wooden chair (which can amplify sounds), and you have a nervous cat pinned on your lap, as you apply a vial of flea treatment to his neck, I recommend that you do not suddenly and loudly pass wind.

• Misconduct@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Mine took a chunk out of my lip because I accidentally kicked the vacuum while I was carrying him somewhere. It didn’t even turn on but his fear of the vacuum runs almost as deep as the canyon he carved through my face. But yeah, he’s the best 🙃

• MonsiuerPatEBrown@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Firstly you should never ever do what this lady has done here; never ever yield the high ground to your cat.

That is just like cats 101.

• TheObserver@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Last time my cat scratched me i was trying to save his life. Little fucker ran underneath my legs outside and a dog started running after him. I sprint towards my cat and yank his ass above my head and i almost dropped him and ended up grabbing his tail with all his weight and he flipped up and scratched the ever living shit out of my arm. Left a scar for about 3 months. Can still see it with a blacklight now.

• Nacktmull@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

I laughed because I was like that once. Of course cats have different personalities but in general just learn to treat/handle your cat with respect and gentleness. I you do anything to your cat against their will -it does not matter if you mean well- you are just asking to be scratched. Since I learned that I don´t even bother cutting her claws anymore and the worst I get now are sometimes tiny marks from excessive kneading on my belly <3

(the way of holding a cat shown in the picture is not optimal btw, one hand should go under their butt to support that weight too, otherwise it might be uncomfortable for the cat to be picked up. Also, if it´s not really necessary to pick the cat up, at best ask for her consent to being picked up by gently putting a hand under her for a few seconds and see if she stays or goes away)

• Io Sapsai 🌱@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I mean…I was like that when we first adopted our cat. Then we learned about respecting personal space and whaddya know, I haven’t been scratched in months (Last time was me trying to remove a small piece of thread from his mouth, to prevent him from eating it. He ate it anyway with no consequences and gave me a gash that left a scar.)

• Lowlee Kun@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Man we had cats since i was a baby. Mostly the cats have been chill af. We had one cat that was a little bit more agressiv but never without giving “fuck off and leave me alone” signs. Did i get some scratches? Maybe like once a year. Some years ago however, i dated a girl with a kitten and i tell you, that little shit was the devil himself. The girl had scratchmarks all over her arms, looking like a victim of self mutilation. Also the beast literally ran towards you, trying to scratch you, as soon as you dared to make eye contact. Thinking about it i am glad that the girl canned me after a while. That cat scared me.

• Nacktmull@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Also the beast literally ran towards you, trying to scratch you, as soon as you dared to make eye contact

Is that healthy behavior though, I´m thinking that kitten might have been mistreated or otherwise traumatized to show such an over aggressive behavior

• Lowlee Kun@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Of course thats not normal but i did not see any effort whatsoever to change it from the owner. I gotta admit that i have no real clue what to do in that situation but it would be the owners obligation in my mind.

• Nacktmull@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

The first thing to do would be to ask veterinarian about it. There are even cat psychologists.

• seathru@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

I actually used the excuse “I fell into some brush” to explain the scratches on my arms to a coworker. I don’t think they bought it.

• vanontom@geddit.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Everything can be fine 97% of the time, but it only takes a second to get fucked up by a cat’s razor-sharp claws or fangs. Then it takes weeks to heal. Fewer declawed cats now, too.

• DragonTypeWyvern@literature.cafe
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

My cats won’t scratch, but they do make it clear that cuddles have a five second limit before the claws go to “try me, bitch” mode.

• WarmSoda@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Doesn’t help that the scratches don’t even bleed until you’re at a family dinner and suddenly your covered in blood.

Damn cute killing furballs!