• PugJesus@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    13 hours ago

It may be better to say “Abolish prison as a first-line treatment for criminality”, but that’s less catchy.

• PhlubbaDubba@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      13 hours ago

Yeah, but that’s the rub, we still need clear communication.

A slogan is only as good as how little work you need to do fleshing out any possible points of confusion or misunderstanding.

• PugJesus@lemmy.worldOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        13 hours ago

Yeah, that’s why ‘defund the police’ floundered so hard.

On Lemmy, though, for all its other faults, I think the general population is left-wing enough to get it without needing extended clarification.

• PhlubbaDubba@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          12 hours ago

But that’s the exact danger, if we don’t craft our propaganda and rallying calls to suit the audience who aren’t in the lingo loop that we’re in, then we’re never going to break out of the insulated community to reach coalition partners in actually implementing the change we need

• leftytighty@slrpnk.net
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            11 hours ago

The right has no trouble getting support with “remigtation” and “mass deportation” I’m tired of trying to woo liberals. I’m happy to be extreme in an effort to shift the overton window

• Feathercrown@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 hours ago

I admire your will to shift the overton window, but right wing phrases don’t have to make sense, so we kind of have a different bar to clear here

• PhlubbaDubba@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 hours ago

You just raised two examples of the right expressing exactly what they want to do to defend using terrible slogans that don’t actually convey what is really intended as policy.

Other people being better communicators than you does not justify intentionally continuing to be a bad communicator, especially when you’re trying to oppose them being a better communicator with bad faith intentions.