“Stop drinking bottled water, there are microplastics in it”

• RaoulDook@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      19 hours ago

Just filter your tap water. Then you can drink it from glass containers instead of plastic. I spent about $100/year on filters for my RO unit and it delivers bottled water quality drinking water at home.

• FireRetardant@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 hours ago

Given the amount of variety of materials that water interacts with before it reaches your house and the fact that RO can remove the majority of organic and dissolved pollutants, it is probably still better to get a bit of plastics from the RO than the plethora of pollutants that are otherwise present. The benefits of this may vary widely based on the quality of the tap water.

• archomrade [he/him]@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        19 hours ago

Yea, we’ve got one. But when I lived in an apartment I wasn’t allowed to install something like that, i’m gonna guess that most people aren’t in a situation where they can use one.

I don’t think there pitcher options that are as effective for fluoride or heavy-metals, but I don’t actually know off hand

• Skasi@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    4 hours ago

Also if you want to drink something with a taste, always consider adding tap water to it. Most lemonades mix very well with tap water. Furthermore, not everything you drink requires carbonated water to taste good. Sirups that mix with water in a big ratio like 1 portion of sirup and 10 portions of water are nice too.

Carrying home 10kg of drinks every week seems like such a waste, I never understand people who do that.

Of course if tap water is contaminated because of a flood or some other accident it makes sense not to drink it. That said I think in many places tap water is usually cleaner than bottled water (some more so than others). I understand that I can’t generalize, but I think everyone who hasn’t should at least read up on the water quality of their region, ideally on official or trustworthy sources.

(edit: Note that I wrote the following paragraph without knowing tap water temperatures. Apparently it only holds true if your cold tap water is below 15°C.)

And since I’m already ranting: You don’t need ice in your drinks! It doesn’t make the drink tastier or more refreshing. It’s just a waste of time and especially energy, and also a contamination risk. You also don’t need tap water into the fridge. Just let your cold tap water run for a few second and it’ll rinse out the stagnant water that warmed up to room temperature, replacing it with fresher, colder water. I guess in some place this might be more viable than in others. Always depends on the local availability of water and energy.

• williams_482@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      20 hours ago

Yes, putting ice in water does make me enjoy it more, and no, letting the tap run doesn’t do nearly as much to cool it down as ice cubes do.

• Skasi@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        20 hours ago

How is it more enjoyable to you? I don’t get it. Do you enjoy the temperature or is it an actual taste thing? Letting the tap run makes water so cold for me that I usually wait for a couple minutes before drinking more than a few sips.

• Skasi@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            4 hours ago

Alright this topic bothered me so I figured the onus was on me and looked it up. Apparently cold tap water temperatures in some cities around the world are usually around 15°C and can go as high as 25°C in summer. That’s definitely not my experience, I’m pretty sure it’s constantly below 15°C here. So then you’re not a crazy maniac and the regional differences really are way bigger than I expected. Who would’ve thought!

• FireRetardant@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      20 hours ago

Most people i know that prefer bottled water prefer it because of the chlorine taste in their city tap water. Most bottled water goes through several processess including softening or reverse osmosis which can impact the taste quite a bit. They often remineralize the bottled water and add flouride as well. They do make undersink reverse osmosis systems for people who have taste or odor concerns from their tap water, essentially getting a similar quality to bottled out of a tap.

• PatrickYaa@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        21 hours ago

That’s not the case everywhere. This is not an individual problem in some countries, it is systemic. That sometimes includes the US. Even Europe has countries with undrinkable tap water.

• Know_not_Scotty_does@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 hours ago

I’m not saying we shouldn’t have safe drinking water provided to us by our municipal water supply.

What I am saying is that between the choice of purchasing expensive bottled water which this article and others say is effectively contaminated, is horrible for the environment, and largely comes from the same supply as municipal water does, vs purchasing a point of use filter system which can remove most harmful thinks in tap water, you will largely come out with better water for less money in the long run, with a point of use filter.

You are also doing better for the environment by doing that and getting a reusable bottle to take it with you. If you are worried about water on the go, look at something like a grayle travel filter or one of the other options out there already.

• peanuts4life@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          20 hours ago

In the US there are sub $200 reverse osmosis units. They waste some water, but overall the cost and convenience is better than water delivery or bottles. I used one when I lived in a rental with poor quality well water.

• Fester@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          20 hours ago

At the very least, buy large jugs of purified water and use a permanent refillable bottle. It still creates plastic waste, but it’s a lot less than pounding down small bottles all the time. It’s also much cheaper, and if the bottle is vacuum-insulated, more efficient and enjoyable.

Small plastic bottles have their uses in some situations, but buying them all the time as your main source of drinking water is just silly.