57k active users on Lemmy, Casual Conversation seems a pretty common topic, and still there aren’t that many people around here.

I posted on !newcommunities@lemmy.world , we are probably the most populous community with this name.

Maybe it’s because LemmyWorld communities do not appear on Lemmyverse.net any more?

What do you think could be the issue?

• BlazeOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

The issue is that I’m questioning if it even makes sense to try to keep this community active or if I should just redirect everyone to !chat@beehaw.org and call it a day.

I wanted to have a casual conversation community accessible to instances defederated by beehaw, but it still feels like mostly like shouting into the abyss. Also I’m the single mod here, sometimes it feels like working alone, then you start questioning why you even put much effort in the first place.

Let’s see how it evolves in the coming days.

• bionicjoey@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Keep in mind Beehaw is defederated from many major nodes in the fediverse. I don’t see any harm in continuing to post wherever you want. If it feels like “work” just don’t post. It’s not your job to post on a forum.

• imaqtpie@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

I often enjoy reading through the threads here, even if I don’t comment much. I also can’t see beehaw communities because they defederated us. I would really appreciate if you keep this place going for a while longer and see how it develops. I can help with moderating if it’s getting to be a lot.

I’ll try to participate more also 😇

• BlazeOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

That’s great, you are now a mod!

I was indeed thinking about finding another place where everyone could meet (such as lemm.ee, which is still federated with most of the people, or reddthat.com), but we can probably still wait a few this before moving

• imaqtpie@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

Thanks!

I saw you were looking at discuss.online as well, which also makes sense to me.

Just be aware that you will lose a chunk of subscribers by moving to another server, no matter how many announcements you make. That being said, better to make the move sooner than later, if you’re going to do it.

Also, although I do think hexbear users are often funny and positive contributors, they’re not particularly well suited for casual conversation. Despite wanting to be federated with that server, it’s also nice to have the option of spaces where I don’t have to worry about being called a reactionary lib when I’m just trying to make polite conversation. Just something to think about. Lemmy.world’s aggressive defederation policies are actually a benefit when it comes to a community such as this, imho.

• BlazeOP
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

That’s a good point. I guess we should probably ask the community what they prefer. I’ll open a thread about this later today