A 25-year-old woman with type 1 diabetes started producing her own insulin less than three months after receiving a transplant of reprogrammed stem cells1. She is the first person with the disease to be treated using cells that were extracted from her own body.

“I can eat sugar now,” said the woman, who lives in Tianjing, on a call with Nature. It has been more than a year since the transplant, and, she says, “I enjoy eating everything — especially hotpot.” The woman asked to remain anonymous to protect her privacy.

James Shapiro, a transplant surgeon and researcher at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Canada, says the results of the surgery are stunning. “They’ve completely reversed diabetes in the patient, who was requiring substantial amounts of insulin beforehand.”

• JusticeForPorygon@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 hours ago

Stem cell research is something i’ve found myself interested in lately. It’s crazy the amount of things it’s been able to accomplish.

• phdepressed@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 hour ago

Only embryonic stem cells were because of Bush. America now uses induced pluripotent stem cells generated from in this case the patient herself but can also be made from any volunteer skin biopsy.

• Nyxon@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 hours ago

Honestly, when I first read your comment I read “I’ve been able to accomplish” not “It’s been able to accomplish” and thought to myself… yeah, look, this is good research with tons of benefit potential for the world but maybe these laws are in place because DIY scientists with home labs shouldn’t be messing with it just yet, I mean, that sounds reasonable. The meme provided also kinda could be taken either way in the “I’ve”, “it’s”

But yeah, it took only a few seconds to re-read it and find my mistake. I had figured you were joking with the “I’ve” thing to prove a point, not that you were really experimenting with stem cells at home. Either way, it was a fun mental rabbit hole for about 5 seconds. So thank you.

And I agree with you, we should be funding this type of scientific research.

• Nyxon@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 hours ago

Yeah, exactly, my brain substituting in the change of two letters and reading it like that caused a double take, especially because the last sentence was where it happened it made the comment feel more like a punchline than a statement.

I also found it interesting in how changing just two letter in an entire comment could change the whole meaning of the comment in my brain.