• Swedneck
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 hours ago

it’s honestly kinda strange that cargo trams aren’t used more, i obsess over gothenburg’s tram network and the suburban lines definitely seem like they should make sense to run some cargo on.

Especially this line should be perfect for cargo trams, you can set up a siding just north of Gamlestaden station and transfer goods to a tram there, then take the conveniently already existing traingle track to turn onto the line to bergsjön, and then you can just use the existing stops to unload stuff early in the morning and take it to the shops with those electric mini-forklifts since a lot of shops are right next to the stations (sensibly!).

• petrescatraian@libranet.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 hours ago

@Swedneck trams are generally designed to transport people, that’s why lines usually go to the densest areas. And they’re also a more local type of transport, so these would generally have to wait for the regular trams to leave the stops before going ahead. Or you would likely need lots of switches to allow for the cargo trams to overpass the passenger ones. Clearly not practical, although nice as a concept. For cargo, trains are the best solution.

@bestboyfriendintheworld

• Swedneck
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 hours ago

Please read my reply to the other person who said the same things.

• smokinliver@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 hours ago

I am certainly not but imho…

You would need many places to overtake since the normal trams go super slow by stopping every couple hundret meters.

And even if the cargo ones go slow as well you would need many more switches/sidings to places where you can (un)load them and switches are expensive to maintain

So even though the concept is super nice, it often times lacks the practicality as well as the financial benefits to convince networks to get it stated in the first place

• Swedneck
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 hours ago

but you don’t need cargo all day, stores generally restock in the off hours or maybe just straight up at night. Certainly grocery stores restock the actual shelves from their internal storage every morning.
        So you’d do a cargo tram run every night when there’s plenty of time to do things slow and not have to worry about passenger services.

As for switches, that’s the thing! you wouldn’t need extra switches since you can operate outside of passenger hours and just use the existing platforms most of the time, maybe building a little extra platform where needed.

The only really new part of this is using trams, it’s already perfectly normal for most deliveries to be made in the off hours in places where there’s a lot of pedestrianization.

• smokinliver@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 hours ago

Yup that doesn’t sound all too impractical and I would love to see it (in my city).

The only thing holding it back is probably one city to pull it off successfully for others to follow. And as a open platform-like system cause in the case of Dresden/Volkswagen the trams were company exclusive.

• Swedneck
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 hours ago

yeah, and i think part of the issue is that you’d really need the city itself to push for it and organize it.