• Kalkaline @leminal.space
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    23 hours ago

Hardtimes, they are a similar site and easily confused with the Onion, but let’s give proper credit to the publication.

• ZeroCool@slrpnk.netOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        14 hours ago

Yeah, Anyone that follows this community would probably recognize my username because I post a lot of these articles… and the sidebar makes it clear this is a community for all sorts of satire sites. But I think it would’ve been better named “satire” rather than “the onion”

Every time I post something here there’s someone in the comments that’s confused about the fact that this sub welcomes content from multiple satire sites and not just The Onion.

• OpenStars@discuss.online
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 hours ago

There is also The Onion and other satire w/ layers@sh.itjust.works. You could post both here and there - to link them make sure to use the repost feature, in the Lemmy web UI it looks like a double square to the right of the favorite/star icon - and thereby help grow that community on another instance.

Not only would that help the overall goal of not having all posts of one type be in a single location on the Fediverse, but I wonder if those words appearing (of “and other satire w/ layers”) may help with understanding for the post in this community as well. Probably not though, bc the only people who tend to read the sidebar are those who actually make posts, while those who comment often do not.:-)

• Ech@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        19 hours ago

The Onion is to satire sites what Nintendo was to consoles for parents and grandparents of the 80s/90s.

• ZeffSyde@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 hours ago

True story: when I’m at my mom’s house I’ll tell her my Switch is a Nintendo or a Gameboy because explaining what it is is too much of a chore at this point.

• Kalkaline @leminal.space
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        19 hours ago

I totally understand the reason why there is confusion, and almost didn’t reply because it felt nitpicky. Completely fair.

• OpenStars@discuss.online
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          14 hours ago

I feel like we both mentioned facts there - hopefully we added something to the conversation, that there’s some nuance wherein it both is but also is not The Onion, depending on which “it” we’re talking about:-).