• Codex@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 hours ago

Poor people move where it’s cheaper to live. It’s cheaper to live where risk is higher. This is how risk is systematically offloaded onto the lower class. We build and live in these dangerous places, and we suffer all the loss and damage from those risks. The owner class takes all the profits and value from those places while investing little to nothing in them (too risky!)

• justhach@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 hours ago

Newsflash: with the increasing extreme weather events, everywhere is becoming a “disaster-prone area”.

Asheville, NC is 300 miles from the nearest coast and still got its shit rocked by a hurricane.

• Modern_medicine_isnt@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 hours ago

300 miles really isn’t very far for hurricanes to penetrate. And Asheville is a bowl in the mountains. So water runs to it, and drains out. It just can’t handle that much rain at once. It’s probably happened before, just long ago.
      That said, I sat on my deck most of yesterday. It was the kind of weather we used to get all summer long 30 years ago. Now it only happens briefly in the spring and fall. Summers are becoming unbearable. Wildfires are the result.

• ryathal@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 hours ago

For rain and flooding specifically, new development can make it drastically worse without a huge amount of changes. It’s totally possible that a similar amount of rain 20-30 years ago wouldn’t have caused the same scale of damage, because the water wouldn’t have concentrated as fast.

• jpreston2005@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 hours ago

I was actually thinking the Netherlands… but I also want to pursue a career in Stand-up comedy and acting so… Kinda just leaves cities/states deep in disaster areas (LA, NYC, Atlanta) 🙃

• lieuwestra @lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 hours ago

So half the country, or a quarter of the continent judging by the map. I would guess 90% of people living there were already deeply embedded in local culture before the term climate change was invented.

• andrewta@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    10 hours ago

How is Minneapolis/St. Paul Minnesota a high risk area? I’m seeing blue dots in that area.