• Alphane Moon@lemmy.worldOPM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 hour ago

I get the joke, but honestly I still don’t fully understand how quantum computing works and I’ve read multiple primers on the topic.

“Classic” computing may be complicated, but the base principle are actually somewhat straightforward.

• chemical_cutthroat@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        14 minutes ago

The way I understand it, and I could be very wrong, is that it’s like brute forcing the universe while wearing a blindfold. Because the power of a qubit is exponentially higher than the same number of bits, you can get a lot more information from the same amount of processing power. However, if you measure the qubit, it loses all of that information. Instead, you have to set parameters that say things like: solve for x, and then you wait for the solution to be presented from the qubits. The catch is that you can’t see how the qubits are working, because if you do, you observe them and the data is lost. You just have to hope that they solve the problem for you. In reality, it wouldn’t be that strange of a process, because you wouldn’t ask it theoreticals, you would have it solve complex problems that can be solved in some way. That’s why computer gaming gets no benefit, you aren’t asking for answer to complex problem, you are telling polygons where to be.