I wanna read something that’s fucking brutal with fighting and sex and all the things, but also WELL WRITTEN (so NOT George R.R. Martin, I can’t stand his shit). I want Lord of the Rings on crack and steroids.

• glitchdx@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 days ago

TIL there’s a sub here for books.

Terry Goodkind wrote the Sword of Truth series beginning with The Wizard’s First rule in 1994, with 17 books in the main series and I believe still ongoing. Not much sex, but it has the brutality down, and is very well written.

• musky_occultist@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 day ago

I regret that I have but one downvote to give. Wizard’s First Rule is literally the worst book I ever read. (A lot of people do seem to like it, though.)

• glitchdx@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        21 hours ago

I’m going to choose to interpret your comment as charitably as possible, and that your library is the best curated on the planet. What have you been reading?

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 hours ago

Hah, I did mean it in the spirit of good discussion. (Though maybe I also feel like I have a sacred mission to keep the unwary from inadvertently Goodkinding themselves!)

I’ve actually been having a hard time getting into anything new lately for some reason, but I recently reread C. S. Friedman’s Coldfire and Magister series (serieses? trilogies), which are kind of dark, but not so “gritty, gorey” that I thought they’d be a good recommendation for this thread. The former in particular is excellent, and they’re both fairly unusual takes on fantasy.

• rhadamanth_nemes@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 day ago

Wizard’s First Rule is the only tolerable book, if barely. They’re all thinly veiled (not thinly veiled) fetish writing, or high school level political theory.

At a certain point it’s clear that Terry fired enough editors that the remaining ones stopped trying.

• DragonTypeWyvern@midwest.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 day ago

Yeah Wizard’s First Rule even had a decent stopping point at the end, iirc? That or by the third or so. Good enough read if you’re an edgy teen.

• Aermis@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 days ago

Goes weird and hard to follow after the 4th book. Even the 4th was a bit of a drag

• Lightor@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 day ago

Love the series, read it multiple times. It seems to get a lot of hate but I don’t get why. I like the story, hate the villains, and can get invested in the characters. Plus it’s very adult. My favorites series hands down.

• dresden@discuss.onlineM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        20 hours ago

There are two aspects to it, one the books, and second the author. Author isn’t very likable, if you read some of his interviews you will understand. His opinion about himself, about fantasy, and general readers (and authors) of fantasy can be a bit annoying. As for the books, they sometimes have very stupid writing.

It has been a long time since I read the series, but one scene that I remember on top of my head, there was a woman (or group of them), who has to escape / pass through the whole army, so they go topless, cause then all the men in army will not be looking at their face and won’t recognize them.

There were many other things like that.

• Lightor@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          19 hours ago

First off, that scene isn’t so they don’t recognize their faces. It’s to look like spirits and scare/shock them. They were a small army trying to use crazy tactics, I don’t see what’s so wrong about that. I’ve read it multiple times and I don’t remember a point where they go topless implying no one would ever look at their face if they were topless.

As for the author, I don’t know much about him, but I like the books. And way I think Michael Jackson is a bad person but I can still enjoy his music.

• glitchdx@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 day ago

I absolutely understand why people hate it. on lemmy, probably because of themes that could be interpreted as being anti communist. In the real world, because of how it mocks religion quite viciously, and promotes critical thinking.

Also multiple strong female characters who are well written, that really pisses people off.

• DragonTypeWyvern@midwest.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          1 day ago

Lol, the “strong female characters” and critical thinking of The Sword of Truth series. Might as well push Atlas Shrugged because “it’s got a female author”

• glitchdx@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            23 hours ago

i haven’t actually read Atlas Shrugged, probably should considering how often it’s referenced in discussions on literature.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 hours ago

It’s hard to get through… it’s huge, but keeps bludgeoning you with the same cartoonish ideas over and over again until you’re just exhausted. Kind of worth reading, just because it does come up in discussions so often, but don’t necessarily expect to enjoy it.