I’m a mechanical engineering student with a fairly open brief for a short project. Have to draw a 3D cad model of a mechanism and do some motion analysis. So i thought i’d ask the fine folk of slrpnk if they had any projects that need a bit of ironing out.

Probably best suited if you have an idea and want see how the parts might move in 3 dimensions. I’d be able to tell you stuff like how much force/torque is in a particular part, letting you know how strong bits need to be.

Has to be a mechanism of some sort that i draw from scratch - let me know what dimensions i need to accomodate. And i have to present it to the class.

• DontNoodles
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 hours ago

I am not sure if this will pique your interest but I find kinetic sand tables really fascinating. Sisyphus came up with it first and there have been a number of open source implementations in due course. One way is to implement it using a scara arm mechanism but they have the problem of load weight in the case of long arms.

I came across this design that rethinks the design using an elegant rack and pinion arm but still needs a belt that may go out of calibration over time. This looks to be improved further using [two, concentric rings] (https://frew.io/work/sisyphish) but this design is not available to explore/copy.

I have no idea about 3D designing, but I would love to create a table one day: something that will not need constant adjustment. If you get around to taking this up, I would love to see what design improvements you can come up with.