EDIT: I’m interested in how a free Palestine would play out in terms of what that would mean for women, gays, children, people of non-muslim religions, in terms of personal freedoms, etc. For the average citizen/denizen what would that look like?

• small44@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 hours ago

I don’t believe the older generation don’t want a two state solution. The problem with the two state solution proposals was always biased towards Israel and have almost no flexibility in discussing the terms. I think a one state solution makes more sens

• cheese_greater@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 hours ago

I’ve watched videos with Palestinians lamenting the good old days when they had a job that was either in Israel or with an Israelli firm that paid much better and it makes me really question whether this is about religion or past stuff at all. I wonder if all Palestinians who are offered a better life thru gainful employment and modern peaceful lifestyle with the modern amentities wouldn’t warm to the idea of a pluralistic and perhaps closer to 1-state solution altho I also understand where the Israelis are coming from in terms of not wanting the muslim baggage and ongoing concerns that creates.

Religions that create such a conviction that there’s another better life you can arbitrarily access if you do violence in your god’s name are inherently antithetical to modern life and cohesion so I get that they would be reluctant if it came to that. There would very likely be a non-zero number of civillian deaths and incidents that would immediately be blamed on any unification

• small44@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 hours ago

It’s like when France allowed tunisian students in France when tunisia was occupied it doesn’t change the fact that in both case most was mistreated by the colonizers. Palestinians resistance is not just about religions that’s why Shia and sunni groups are allies despite the long history of violence between both factions there’s also Christian and Marxist leninist groups in Gaza.