Death Stranding came out in 2019. Death Stranding 2 will come out in 2025. That’s six years for two games. If these were the PS2 days Kojima would have cranked out 3 Death Stranding games by now and we’d be getting Death Stranding 3: Subsistence along with a teaser for Death Stranding 4 next year.

Remember when video game trilogies used be to a huge thing in the sixth and seventh generations? You’d typically get 3 games in about 5-7 years

See: Halo, Gears of War, Resistance, Killzone, etc

• plinky [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    19 hours ago

uncritical support to no crunch time rat-salute

Idk supergiant (I think I’ve heard they are fairly tight inside) seems fine doing one small game in three years? Instead of yearly ubisoft slop (they make them like in 2? Or did they switch to 3?)

Larian or rockstar do like one in 5 years (although rockstar sucks on working part)

• booty [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      13 hours ago

rockstar do like one in 5 years

yeah rockstar makes games that take so much effort that they probably shouldn’t exist at all, so they take a long time to make even under awful crunch conditions

• SSJMarx@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      13 hours ago

Same. The things I’d change to reduce game dev time are game scope and photorealistic graphics, haven’t finished a AAA game in years because they’re too long.

• plinky [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        12 hours ago

I’m kinda fine-ish with eye candy, it could be neat on a budget 5 years later, scope though grinds my gears, don’t need your square kilometers of procedurally generated forest with dick to show for it except randomly placed animals. I want to get lost in a forest I will go to a real forest. Same for half the cities, like I get how gta landed there, but as a result walking in that game feels just wasteful in time