In 2024, when a new game is announced, you can usually count on it to be released on PC, PlayStation, and possibly Switch. But it’s become a bit less of a guarantee that new games or ports will land on Xbox consoles, and it seems Microsoft is aware of this and is asking devs why…

• Pika@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 hours ago

I went into this article being like yeah this makes no sense why, but reading other comments and the article made me realize yeah it’s a no-brainer that developers are skipping on microsoft. They need to get rid of the requirement of if you launch on one you must launch on both, it’s basically needlessly increasing the cost of the platform.

I worked retail during the latest generation release and it was very clear that if you wanted to use your system as a system you had to go with the series x. We had customers buying the series s who would come in afterward and be like yeah I returned it, I wanted the ability to have physical Media or I looked up the differences and the x just made sense. The reason anyone ever got the cheaper model was at launch date when the X was not available anywhere.

This combined with the fact that the cheaper model had lower end Hardware which further restricts the games that can go on it and the capabilities basically means that you have to two different branches that have more changes than just changing what platform it’s releasing cuz you have to make sure that your defaults are at lower quality for the s.

gamepass is one topic that I was wondering when it would come to light/backfire. It’s not an unheard of fact that Microsoft heavily prefers games to go on to their Game Pass Program which in the process of doing so heavily reduces the amount of sales at a game has.

Sales on Xbox (in terms of physical and digital copies) as a whole dropped with the addition of Game Pass becoming mainstream, and while developers are getting paid for having their game on the program, this metric is decided based off a sign up payment, and then based off of how many people actively play the game, so for a developer going on Game Pass you gain a lot of money up front while the game active in being played(which is super helpful for Indie style Developers who really have much money to begin with), there is a steep drop off as the game loses interest which is more severe than if the game had just sold normal game copies.

This drop off in sales while combined with the ever increasing ideology Microsoft Gamers tend to have where if it’s not on Game Pass it’s not worth playing because they are already paying a monthly subscription for it really makes it so if you weren’t planning on enrolling in The Game Pass Program in the first place it’s not really all that worth launching on the platform as a whole.