Two environmental activists who glued themselves to a J.M.W. Turner painting at Manchester Art Gallery in July 2022 were acquitted today in a Manchester court. The pair affixed themselves to the frame of Tomson’s Aeolian Harp (1809) by Turner and sprayed “No New Oil” and the Just Stop Oil logo on the floor with chalk…

… “The district judge found that the action was proportionate in view of the climate crisis,” a Just Stop Oil statement says. "By contrast Phoebe Plummer and Anna Holland received sentences of 24 months and 20 months respectively from Judge Hehir at Southwark Crown Court last week for throwing cans of soup on the glass cover of Van Gogh’s Sunflowers in 2022.”

• vapeloki@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 day ago

While the soup attack caused damage in the historic frame if the picture, this protest did not cause any permanent damage. From the choice of glue to the choice of spraypaint, everything was well thought out. So no, I don’t think this is proof that the Soutwark conviction is totally unreasonable

• mindlesscrollyparrot
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      13 hours ago

The same judge (Southwark) thinks that damage to the eye socket of an off-duty police officer should get a suspended sentence.

But sure, when it’s a picture frame, you have to send a message.

• mindlesscrollyparrot
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 hours ago

No, indeed. I myself am one of the many millions of people that visit the National Gallery each year to look at the frames.

• mindlesscrollyparrot
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 hours ago

As Van Gogh wrote to Gauguin: I have hung the guest bedroom here in Arles with a series of frames that you simply have to come and see.

Of course, those frames aren’t the ones on display. They’re too valuable.