Random trivia; VR is so 90s 🤪 - this is a photo of an offer for a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VFX1_Headgear for ~500USD in 1997. Apparently it was compatible with games like Mech Warrior 2 and did already feature stuff like head tracking for compatible games.

• LEONHART@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    56 minutes ago

This is the kind of magazine page that 90s-kid-me would stare at for hours fantasizing over. Even looking at it now, it’s surprisingly easy for me to ignore the objective technical limitations and get hyped.

Side note: can we talk about that 1ST PC GUN on the mid-left there? Dude…

• Beko PharmOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      27 minutes ago

I’m not even sure why this was in one of my drawers at all. Stumbled over it randomly today and was confused by this initially because somehow “VR” is marked with “brand new shit” in my head. I should know better but kinda forgot all about it.

• Björn Tantau@swg-empire.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 hours ago

Had a CyberMaxx VR headset back in the days. It had a whopping resolution of 505x230 per eye at a combined 60 Hz (so each eye only got 30 Hz). Headtracking worked with 3 degrees of freedom. The included mouse driver for DOS made the head tracking available for every DOS game even if it didn’t have support. It came with Tekwar and a Flight Unlimited demo I never could get to run.

Some games worked with stereoscopic 3D. That was about the only really awesome thing about the headset. But the 30 Hz displays made sure that you could only play for a short while anyways. Descent was nausea inducing on its own. But in VR it was a guaranteed pukefest.

Thinking about playing with the headset was always much better than actually doing it. I’d pull it out every few years and then put it back into storage. Last I heard it died at my brother’s.

• Beko PharmOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 hours ago

Heh, during that time I only toyed around with cheap anaglyph 3d glasses. I totally love that Elite Dangerous still features such a mode to this day 🤪

• soulsource
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 hours ago

Yes. That’s why I was utterly confused when big companies dug out hat dead horse (yet) again.

And they are still trying to ride it.

• Reawake9179@lemmy.kde.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      5 hours ago

Because technology advanced a tiny bit and it does make more sense.

Even if it dies now, it will come back with even better hardware.

Your statement sounds like, “why did they release the iPhone, there are already PDAs”

• soulsource
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 hours ago

It’s funny that you mention the iPhone - a device that had zero innovation compared to its competitors, and just managed to take the market because of marketing.