An RCMP official appearing before the foreign interference inquiry today refused to say whether any Chinese government “police stations” are still operating in Canada.

• Atelopus-zeteki@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 hours ago

“That again falls into part of our ongoing investigation and I’m not speaking about it at this time,” Flynn told reporters. This type of denial sounds like a ‘yes’ answer to me. He doesn’t want to jigger the current investigation by telling his quarry that he knows that they are still operating. If there were no Chinese ‘police stations’ operating, and the official knew this to be a fact, then the investigation would have concluded, and there would be no restriction on his talking about it.

• deviants@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      20 minutes ago

It’s an odd situation for Five-Eyes nations to be huffing and puffing about this. Both the NYPD and FBI have foreign “police stations”, or at minimum, foreign postings.

That doesn’t even touch on clandestine and sheepdipped agents working around the globe, and in some cases, serving in law enforcement adjacent capacities.

And before anyone gets on their high horse about whatever repressive and authoritarian acts these “police stations” get up to, I get it.

I’m not saying they shouldn’t be shut down, or dealt with. What I am saying is that it’s kinda absurd how the pot isn’t just calling the kettle black, but being annoyingly smug about it, given the hypocrisy inherent in this situation.