• 9point6@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 hours ago

This is super interesting, and a project I’m gonna keep an eye on. Not least of all because I’ve got a good selection of E-mount lenses.

One thing that’s gonna be a struggle is all the specific lens corrections in photo software obviously will not be present for this. I wonder if the body behaves optically similarly enough to an existing Sony camera to be able to reuse those profiles.

• linearchaos@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 hour ago

I’d think they’d handle this with calibration. It doesn’t need to be as sexy as commercial, it just needs to have a reasonably easy process to fix it.

Something like when you get a new lense, you aim it at a laser difraction pattern on a clean wall.

Now you don’t worry about minors differences in body or lenses.

• Masta_Chief@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 hours ago

If the sensor is the same size the lens corrections should be identical. Now if it communicates focal length info into the metadata (on a zoom lens), or any data for that matter, that’s a different issue

• 9point6@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        3 hours ago

I believe focal length & aperture EXIF metadata do factor into modern lens correction profiles

It’s worth highlighting that the profiles are typically based on the combination of a lens and a body, one lens used on two different camera bodies would result in two different profiles being used